[env-trinity] catch update for lower Trinity outmigrant screw traps

Oshun O'Rourke oorourke at yuroktribe.nsn.us
Fri May 26 07:06:00 PDT 2017

Attached is the Yurok Tribal Fisheries' in-season catch update for the Lower Trinity River outmigrant screw traps located in Willow Creek, CA.. So far this year we have learned that California's wettest water year in 122 years makes in-river biological monitoring very difficult, as the 2017 season  is the most challenging season that YTFP has encountered in 15 years of project involvement. .  Two of our 3 traps were installed in conditions that would have been considered "un-fishable" during previous seasons (+13,000 c.f.s.), and have been equally difficult to maintain after installation.    These factors, as well as this past fall/winter's low adult returns, should be considered when reviewing the attached catch data
Despite everything we continue fishing our traps, and hope the catch will pick up in the near future as the water level goes down.

Oshun O'Rourke
Yurok Fisheries
530-629-3333 ext 1703