[env-trinity] Trinity River trapping summary through Julian Week 43 (October 28)

Kier, Mary Claire@Wildlife MaryClaire.Kier at wildlife.ca.gov
Mon Oct 30 14:23:35 PDT 2017

Greetings!
Attached please find the TRP trapping summary through JW 43.
TRH opened back up this week and began recovery of Fall Chinook (and continued Coho and steelhead recovery as well). The numbers are not great this first week, but, well, who knows how the season will progress? Remember, production of both steelhead and Coho at TRH was decreased a few years back, so these lower numbers ( as in 2016) are returns of those smaller brood years AND the effects of the drought.

The Chinook numbers have dropped off fairly dramatically at Willow Creek, and there hasn't been much of an uptick in steelhead. With a storm looming on the horizon at the end of the week, I'm getting a little antsy about much longer WCW will stay in (as my ability to predict future precipitation has been shown to be less than perfect) but we hope to get in another couple of week's trapping.
Have a lovely week,
MC

Mary Claire Kier
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife - Trinity River Project
Environmental Scientist - Fisheries
707/822-5876
5341 Ericson Way, Arcata CA 95521
Klamath/Trinity Program reports can be found online @