[env-trinity] Your voice is needed to protect the Trinity River

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Tue Dec 5 10:15:01 PST 2017

|  Tell Secretary Zinke that public interests matter.  |  View it in your browser.   |

|    |

Speak up for the Trinity River
A few of us from CalTrout plus several friends and supporters were fortunate enough to spend last week fishing the Trinity River, the largest tributary to the Klamath. The clear water, blue skies, and silvery steelhead made for a memorable week and boosted our motivation to protect this important river. Coming off the river, we learned of the unfortunate news that the Department of the Interior had unilaterally “de-activated” an important public group that oversees the Trinity River federal restoration program.

As part of the Program’s management structure, the Trinity Adaptive Management Working Group (TAMWG) provides an opportunity for stakeholders to give policy and management advice about restoration efforts. The TAMWG is a volunteer-run group, and provides public oversight of the Trinity Management Council, which operates similar to a Board of Directors and oversees the multi-million-dollar Trinity River Restoration Program. The Program was created in 2000 with a mission of restoring fisheries in the Trinity River impacted by dam construction, water diversions to the Central Valley, and historic mining and logging operations.

We are shocked by this decision to disband the public working group. CalTrout’s North Coast Director, Darren Mierau, has been a member of the working group for four years and our organization has been involved since the Program’s inception.

The Working Group and the Council go hand-in-hand. Stakeholder input from people that live or work in the Trinity River area is a crucial part of the restoration program’s success. These stakeholders have a right to be heard. These are voices of environmentalists, landowners, utility interests, commercial fishermen, rafting guides, and business owners to name a few− all who have a stake in the Trinity River’s health and recovery.

CalTrout recognizes the Trinity Adaptive Management Working Group as a vital part of the restoration program’s success. Please help us reinstate it by contacting Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Send an email or mail a letter to Secretary Zinke – We’ve provided a sample letter that you may use, or write your own. Send the email to exsec at ios.doi.gov, or mail to Secretary Ryan Zinke, U.S. Department of the Interior, 1849 C Street, NW Washington DC, 20240.

Click here for sample letter.

Tweet @SecretaryZinke – Use our sample below or write your own!

@SecretaryZinke Trinity River Restoration Prgm needs stakeholder involvement. Don’t take away their voice – Reinstate TAM Working Group.  |

|   Donate to California Trout

Support our advocacy efforts fighting for a better California.  |