[env-trinity] Fw: Fwd: Carr Fire - Trinity River Flows

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sat Jul 28 12:33:14 PDT 2018

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 12:26 PM, "Huntt DeCarlo, Caryn" <chunttdecarlo at usbr.gov> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Huntt DeCarlo, Caryn <chunttdecarlo at usbr.gov>
Date: Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 12:24 PM
Subject: Carr Fire - Trinity River Flows
To: Tom Stokely <tstokely at att.net>

The Carr Fire nearRedding continues to present operational challenges for Reclamation’s CentralValley Project, including the Trinity Division. Trinity River FlowsDue to the fire activity, Trinity Dam becameisolated from the power network and continues to serve a local area of powerfor safety purposes. Spring Creek and Carr power plants are currently down. Asa result, Lewiston water elevations were managed by emergency increasedreleases from Lewiston Dam and Carr Bypass. Over Friday night, Lewiston Lake reservoirrose higher than the normal operating range and we had an unexpected increasein release from the Trinity River to about 1,100 cfs.  River releases arecoming down today, but are still higher than what was notedyesterday.  Please take extra precautions due to varying releases onthe Trinity River.  We are trying to reduce the lake levels, but expect this will be difficult due to the facility communicationissues and power generation situation.   Low lying areas surroundingthe lake and marinas at Lewiston Lake are expected to be affected by thehigher and variable lake levels.  Reclamation managed to getLewiston Dam releases to the Trinity River down to about 800 cfs by 10 amSaturday morning, and will try to get it down to between 680 cfs and 750 cfs,releases will remain here until further notice.Trinity River TemperaturesTrinity River flows have been a mixture ofpower penstock and hollow-jet outlet use depending onconditions.  Increased releases from Lewiston Dam also help todecrease the heating and residence time at Lewiston.  We expect withthe outlet mixture and increased releases that Trinity River temperatures willbe at or cooler than previous days.  This is the most dynamic systemand temperature will be adjusted real-time when possible.****************************** ***Erin CurtisPublic AffairsOfficer, Mid-Pacific RegionBureau of Reclamation916-978-5101