[env-trinity] Fw: Trinity County roadside fuelbreak collaborative project gets go-ahead

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sat Aug 4 09:53:39 PDT 2018

|  | United States Department of Agriculture |
| U.S. Forest Service
Six Rivers National Forest
1330 Bayshore Way
Eureka, CA  95501
(707) 442-1721
www.fs.usda.gov/srnf |
News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 1, 2018

Media Contacts: Bridget Litten, (707) 441-3673
bridgetmlitten at fs.fed.usPeggi Lawrence, (707) 441-3595
plawrence at fs.fed.usFacebook / Twitter: SixRiversNF |
|  |
| Trinity County roadside fuelbreak collaborative project gets go-aheadMAD RIVER, Calif. – On Friday July 27, acting Six Rivers National Forest Supervisor Elizabeth “Liz” Berger signed the Decision Notice for the 1st 48 Roadside Fuelbreak Collaborative Project (1st 48 Project) on the Mad River Ranger District. The project is the latest in the partnership between the Six Rivers National Forest (SRNF) and the Trinity County Collaborative Group (TCCG).The project is designed to establish a network of linear, shaded fuelbreaks on approximately 821 acres to provide rural communities and residents safer travel zones during wildfire evacuations; allow greater, faster wildland firefighter response and suppression; and reduce the risk of roadside fire starts moving in to high-value forest resources. In addition to fuelbreaks, the project includes reducing stems per acre and creating more space between trees to decrease tree-to-tree spread of fire.“This is the second successful project we’ve worked on with Trinity County Collaborative, and we couldn’t be more pleased with how everyone came together to make this project a reality,” said Dan Dill, district ranger for the SRNF’s Mad River Ranger District. “While we will be cutting trees on this project, the focus is certainly one of safety for our communities.”The TCCG is composed of 55 diverse stakeholders including landowners, business owners, local and regional conservation groups, timber industry representatives, fire safe councils, local non-governmental organizations, federal and county government agencies. The collaborative vision is to build on the success of earlier initiatives to bridge organizations and gain traction to address environmental, economic and social concerns.Larry Glass, executive director for both Safe Alternatives for our Forest Environment and Northcoast Environmental Center, as well as a TCCG member, said, “We hope after the successful implementation of this project, we can begin to see this prescription applied in many other appropriate sites.”The 1st 48 Project decision notice, finding of no significant impact (FONSI), and environmental assessment (EA) are available online at online at www.fs.usda.gov/project/?proje ct=51215.For more information, contact Mad River District Ranger Dan Dill at (707) 574-6233. |
| # # #USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender. |
|  |  |  |

|  |
| Bridget Litten
Public Affairs Officer |
| Forest ServiceSix Rivers National Forest |
| p: 707-441-3673
f: 707-441-3598
bridgetmlitten at fs.fed.us |
| 1330 Bayshore Way
Eureka, CA 95501
www.fs.fed.us

| Caring for the land and serving people |

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately. |