[env-trinity] [EXTERNAL] Supreme Court limits Endangered Species Act: Habitat must contain endangered species

Glase, Jay jay_glase at nps.gov
Tue Nov 27 09:37:19 PST 2018

huh, as usual, I'm confused. I see these two lines that seem to contradict
each other.

*Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said the “critical habitat” of an
endangered species “must also be a habitat” now.*

*"But in the end, they agreed with the chief justice that the law’s
reference to protecting “critical habitat” was best understood as referring
to places where an endangered animal could currently live.*

What does "could currently live" mean? Might they be there because it's
good habitat, might they be there based on previous surveys but we don't
see them right now, might they be there now and then?
And most importantly, if I can manage to extirpate a living thing from an
area, can I then not worry that this area might be critical habitat when
someone tries to recover that species?

I've only read the article in this post, so is this the supreme court or
the journalist writing the article causing my confusion.  Or maybe I'm not
really all that confused but just pretending to be.  I'm sure someone will
let me know.

cheers to all you critical habitat enthusiasts

--

Jay Glase
Midwest Regional Fishery Biologist

jay_glase at nps.gov