[OldNorthBoard] Remarking of N spaces on E Street and later throughout the neighborhood

sheryl lynn gerety winterety at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 10 21:42:07 PDT 2006

August 2006 marked the end of one year of the N parking district.
Public Works with the ONDNA agreed last year that at this time we would
take a look at how the district is functioning with an eye to
considering improvements.

As we marked the end of our first year of experience with the N
district, and had begun a critical review of its function, the city
began a resurfacing of E Street removing the N parking spaces in order
to lay fresh asphalt. We took the opportunity to open a discussion of
the possibility of improving N District function by marking all the
parking spaces available on E Street.  We also wrote to Bob Clarke to
ask him to delay the remarking of E Street following its resurfacing to
give ONDNA some time to discuss this possibility.

Marking standard length parking spaces the length of the street and
improving the location of the N Spaces was proposed to the neighborhood
in a letter requesting input from our general membership on a request
we might send to Bob Clarke.  However the response rate to the proposed
letter was so low as to be negligible.

This leads me to conclude that the timing is not right for ONDNA to
move ahead with a proposal to change the street markings.  Rather we
should place it on the agenda for the coming meeting for a brief
discussion, and look for a new opportunity to canvass the residents of
Old North.  As other resurfacing projects come up, I believe we will
again invite discussion on the issue.

Thanks to the Board for help and suggestions.

Sheryl Gerety
for ONDNA