[OldNorthBoard] October meeting and agenda

sheryl lynn gerety winterety at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 21 15:22:31 PDT 2010

Friends/neighbors.

Our regular schedule for this month's meeting is next Thursday.  There
has been some discussion about changing the regular 4th Thursday
meeting time around a bit.  Is everyone up for that, and can we get
together at 4 PM Sunday, Oct 31, Halloween instead?  Sheryl Gerety has
offered us the comfy living room at the Winetery house at 602 C Street
for the occasion.

-------------

The proposed agenda includes the usual reports, and the following items:

1.  Ongoing discussion about the Yolo Federal process and our options.

2.  Beginning to discuss possible parking district changes.  These
would include:
	a.  Leave it alone.
	b.  Do away with it and go back to the situation we had several years
ago.
	c.  Ask the City to modify the district to our original vision, with
one spot reserved for each residence, self-enforcing, no charge.
	d.  A more structured parking benefit district where we could charge
outsiders to rent spaces in Old North and generate revenue for curb
cuts, street lights, alley mainenance, and traffic calming.

3.  Update on 5th Street and the rising accident toll.  There were
THREE accidents at 5th and E Streets in less than 24 hours between
early 	afternoon Tuesday and 1 pm Wednesday.  See www.johnlofland.org
for pictures.  John is not chasing ambulances.  Rather, these sad
events are being delivered almost to his doorstep.

4.  Begin to organize for the progressive dinner holiday party in
December.

--------------

Please get back to us tonight so we will know if we should rush to
print agendas for distribution this weekend, or if we can do Halloween
afternoon and wait until mid-week to put out agendas.

Also please let us know if anything should be added to the agenda.

-------------

Here are the draft minutes from Sheryl for our last meeting, in
September:

Thursday, September 30, 2010
6:30 PM
Hattie Weber Museum
oldnorth at mailman.dcn.org

Present were Willson, Dingemans, Tracy, Marshall, Le, Risley, Gerety.
Announcements included the 10/10/10 Cool Davis Festival at the Vets
Memorial Center, upcoming November 20, 2010 bicycle festival.  August
minutes were read and approved as suggested, including that Dingemans
would write a letter to the Pena Group asking for project status.  The
agenda was re-arranged so that 2) Civic Center Field became the new 1)
and 1) Yolo Federal Credit Union Building the new 2).  Winter
Progressive Dinner to be discussed at October meeting.

   Civic Center Park:  Dingemans to create a working copy of policy
guidelines in General Plan setting forth standards for open space to
be made available, input from July 22 meeting.
Yolo FCU project:   City Council approved with our written input and
discussion at meeting we hosted severely curtailed by City  Staff.
Plans were made to address City Council, to broker a conversation with
Yolo FCU.  Han Le attended the meeting objecting to the 24 hour drive
through ATM in plans but was not supported by Staff reporting.
Questions remain concerning soil contamination, traffic flow, tree
removal, resistance to underground parking, placement of above ground
parking and access to G and 5th.
Parking District:  many unused N spaces owing to difficulties securing
permits (renters, residents who are eligible for more than one permit
(Corner 6th and B, 7th and B); enforcement continues to be uneven.
Davis High School was denied student reporting of parking violations
in its lots for enforcement purposes.  Tracy continues to explore
options that would let residents report violations, sell non-resident
parking spaces with some money reverting to a neighborhood fund for
street maintenance and improvement, address residents’ resentment over
having to pay for a parking space in their own neighborhood.

Public Comment at City Council Meeting, October 	12, present Tracy,
Risley, Dingemans, Szumsky, Willson, Winterhalder, Gerety.  Tracy
spoke to lack of representation of OND position by staff including
positioning our letter to the Planning Commission at the back of a 100
page briefing, cherry picking comments at public meeting with Yolo FCU
architect and officers.

Meeting is adjourned at 7:30

Finally, I am attaching a flier for an event I am speaking at next
Wednesday evening.  It is sponrosed by Davis Bicycles! but anyone is
welcome who is interested in seeing how European cities are being
transformed for safer and more convenient bicycle and pedestrian travel.