[Yolobus Public Announcement] "Fix I-5" Transit Alternatives

Kathy Souza Ksouza at yctd.org
Tue May 20 16:14:22 PDT 2008

Yolo County Residents:

The following is what YOLOBUS will do over the 30 weekdays of the 42-day I-5
construction project; namely, the weekdays of Monday, June 2nd through
Monday, July 14th, excluding the 4th of July.  The level of service we will
provide and subsidize is limited to the amount of funding that Caltrans has
agreed to provide us, as well as by  the number of buses and drivers we have
available.  Please bear with us.

General

1.      You can expect possible delays ranging from 5-60 minutes on all
routes.

2.      Riders, especially express riders, should consider taking an earlier
morning bus when possible.

3.      We will have up to two additional buses and drivers on standby
during the startup to accommodate buses running late.

4.      In order for the afternoon peak hour buses to leave downtown
Sacramento at the scheduled times, we may be forced to have afternoon "quick
trips" from Woodland to downtown Sacramento leave 5-60 minutes early.  We
will try to keep you informed.

5.      If the buses are too crowded, you may wish to consider carpooling to
work with others, telecommuting, or taking the Capitol Corridor Train.

           Woodland-See the attached  Fix I-5 Woodland BLUE SCHEDULE

1.      We're adding two morning and two afternoon express trips between
Woodland and Sacramento on Route 45.

2.      We will run additional weekday peak hour route service between
Woodland and Sacramento, via Sacramento International Airport.  The
additional trips will be known as "I-5".  In Woodland, it will go only as
far as Main Street near Matmor, near the Ross store.  The routing in
Sacramento will be the same as route 42A and 42B.  We reserve the right to
cancel these added trips and reallocate these resources in the event that
ridership is too light.  Also, see the attached Fix I-5 SMF yellow schedule.

Davis-See the attached Fix I-5 Davis West Sacramento BLUE SCHEDULE

1.      Routes 44, 230, 231, and 232 will run on their current schedule.  We
encourage riders to ride earlier buses where possible.  Expect standing room
only.

2.      We're adding two morning and two  afternoon express trips between
Davis and Sacramento  on Route 43.

3.      We will be selling discounted Capitol Corridor train tickets (ten
one-way tickets for $20) to riders who aren't currently riding the train.
We will ask buyers to sign a pledge that they are not current train riders.
The cash fare is normally $7, so the $2 fare is quite a bargain.  The ticket
order is at the printer.  We hope to sell the tickets at the Farmer's
Market, on Wednesdays and Saturdays,  starting Saturday, May 24th.  Starting
Wednesday, May 21st, we will have staff at the Farmer's Market to take names
of riders who want us to reserve tickets for them.   Also, they will be sold
at the Davis Community Transit office (located in the Amtrak building),
starting Wednesday, May 28th.  BECAUSE OF FULL PARKING LOTS, WE ARE ASKING
NEW TRAIN RIDERS TO BIKE, WALK, OR BE DROPPED OFF AT THE TRAIN STATION.

4.      If you are a bus rider, and there is room on the bus, we ask that
you continue to ride the bus, rather than use up all of the "Fix I-5"
Capitol Corridor tickets.  We are trying to add capacity to accommodate
riders who don't normally use transit, as well as make sure there is room
for you.

5.      We are limiting the number of train tickets sold per individual to
60.  They will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.  We have a limit
of about 7,200 tickets overall.

West Sacramento

1.      Depending on traffic conditions, we will either take U.S. 50 to the
5th Street exit in Sacramento, or re-route, Route 39 over the Tower Bridge.

2.      We plan to have at least one additional bus and driver staged in
West Sacramento during the startup to help us catch up.

PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON OUR WEBSITE AND FOR OTHER EMAIL ANNOUNCEMENTS IN CASE
ACTUAL TRAFFIC CIRCUMSTANCES FORCE US TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN ABOVE.
We will do the best we can to get you to your destination safely within the
constraints of the actual traffic conditions.

If you have any questions, call us at our administrative offices at (530)
661-0816.