[1st-mile-nm] Broadband Stimulus Programs Update

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Sat Jan 23 15:36:13 PST 2010

Kevin Cummins, at Senator Udall's Office in DC, asked me to forward the
following.  I have not attached the NOFAs, which were sent to this list
previously.   RL

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Cummins, Kevin (Tom Udall)" <Kevin_Cummins at tomudall.senate.gov>
Date: January 22, 2010 4:42:00 PM MST
To: "Cummins, Kevin (Tom Udall)" <Kevin_Cummins at tomudall.senate.gov>
Subject: Broadband Stimulus Programs Update

To All:

I am writing to provide an update on the broadband stimulus programs (BTOP/BIP).
  As you know, the second round is now underway? even as more award
announcements will be made through February for first round grant recipients.

This morning I spoke with RUS and NTIA officials, including NTIA Administrator
Larry Strickling, about changes for the second (and final) round of broadband
stimulus grants.  Here?s some information that I would like to share with
you.

First Round Awards:
If you have not already been contacted by NTIA or RUS about your first round
broadband applications, it is unlikely that your application will be selected
for an award.  Although most awards have not been announced yet, those with
applications still under consideration should have already been contacted by
NTIA or RUS as part of their due diligence research.  An NTIA official informed
me that response letters for unsuccessful applications should be mailed today or
tomorrow.

Changes for Second Round Applications:
However, the second round has just begun.  The official Notices of Funds
Availability (NOFAs) are available through the Federal Register (and attached).
 These documents highlight several important changes to selection criteria and
should help you better prepare competitive applications.  Some of these changes
are a direct result of feedback you and other applicants provided directly to
the agencies or through your Congressional representatives.

Please read these new NOFAs carefully to decide which agency to apply to--and
help craft the most competitive proposals possible.

NTIA/RUS Comments about Selection Criteria:
NTIA Administrator Larry Strickling noted his strong preference for selecting
sustainable projects?i.e. those that will still exist years after federal
assistance ends.  He also noted that the level of local matching funds for
projects is one important indicator of potential success/sustainability.  Both
NTIA and RUS officials stressed that applicants should pay careful attention to
selection criteria and guidelines in the second round NOFAs, which differ in
several aspects from the first round.

Help with Your Grant Applications:
There will be several workshops around the country to help answer questions
about the application process.  Although none is planned for New Mexico this
time, two workshops will be broadcast via the Web.  There is also a new
?Broadband Match? online service to help applicants find potential partners
with whom to apply for broadband stimulus grants.  You can access more
information online through the Broadband USA website,
http://www.broadbandusa.gov/.

Support from Senator Udall for Your Applications:
Senator Udall appreciates your efforts to help bridge the digital divide in New
Mexico.  Applicants requesting federal funding for projects that benefit New
Mexico may request letters of support from Senator Udall, or from the whole New
Mexico congressional delegation, by e mailing Laura Davidson,
Laura_Davidson at tomudall.senate.gov.

Even if you did not win a first round award, I would encourage you to
participate in the second round of the broadband stimulus program.  If I can
also be of any assistance, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Cummins
Legislative Assistant