[1st-mile-nm] Broadband Stimulus - Round 2

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Sat Jan 23 15:39:29 PST 2010

I wanted to follow up on the previous email, and to possibly activate this list
a bit, to help coordinate and facilitate second round broadband stimulus
proposals, now being developed for submission to the RUS or NTIA by March 15th.

For most potential applicants, the current submission deadline feels rushed.
Especially as we do not yet know which first round projects are to be rejected
or funded.  The latest word from the NTIA is that they are going to be sending
out 1,400 rejection letters, starting immediately, through the end of the week
(Jan. 30).   Not sure about the RUS.  The NTIA also intends to announce all
first round awards by the end of Feb.

I cannot speak for the State, currently, but assume that NM DoIT is busy on many
fronts, including determining next steps on their recently awarded NTIA SBDD
grant, plus legislative matters.   Unlike last March through August, there is
currently no statewide coordinating process.  I expect that it is needed, and
would be very helpful for sharing accurate information, finding and building
partnerships, understanding potential overlaps or gaps, and
otherwise assuring more successful proposals and outcomes in New Mexico.

I'd like to hear back from you on your thoughts about this, with possible
questions, or suggestions.  I will share your comments with the list, if you
allow/want (or not).

To get the ball rolling, I'd like to ask and get responses to the following
round two questions:

	Who is preparing to apply; for which program(s)?

	Who is interested in applying or partnering?

	Who's not sure, and needs to know more?

	Who's staying out of this round?

Thanks in advance.
Lots of dedicated work ahead.