[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe Telecom Ordinance + CityLink Fiber

peter baston pete at ideapete.com
Tue Mar 9 12:28:16 PST 2010

Unfortunately the issue is a little more complex and several of the
councilors asked for our help to bring some clarity to expedite broadband in
Santa Fe . John Bs biggest point and ours as well is that most of the
ordinances lump everything into one big blog with little understanding of
the real world issues current and future. I intentionally did not get into
the yays and nays of wireless as those should be addressed totally
separately to other technology delivery methodologies. The city attorneys
office is supposed to address this smorgasbord and although they are doing
stellar work they are toitally illequiped to even understand the primary
issues

In the voice of calm reason this is what we sent to them to help

To Office of the City Attorney
City of Santa Fe
Santa Fe, NM

Dear Maureen and Jeanne:

Many thanks for the courtesy shown me in our recent meeting, and the time
given to our discussions. As
promised, I have reviewed the proposed telecommunications ordinances posted
on the city’s website.

As you know, our company is involved in Technology Integration across a
broad spectrum of the
industry, which is why Councilor Miguel Chavez asked us for input after the
last debates on this subject
at recent council meetings. I have performed a cursory review, just looking
at the ordinance itself in the
light of my professional experience and expertise and minimal research.
Based on this review, it would
appear that the ordinance has multiple problems. Let me try to bring some
clarity to the situation with a
brief outline of why I say this.

The very first thing that we do when we are engaged to advise any city or
county that is introducing this
type of ordinance is to lay out a set of best practice questions to gauge
how thoroughly the city or
county understands the full ramifications of the ordinance. Keeping in mind
that telecommunications in
today’s world is vital infrastructure, and many other functions of the city,
the community, the local
economy will be impacted by decisions made in this regard, management
planning of the city’s
technology future network should at a minimum fully address three sectors,
in this order:
1. The technology to be used
2. Oversight of the business operations
3. Legal oversight and control

What I have seen so far is a smorgasbord, with the city trying to combine
selected components of each
sector into a document (not a plan) driven by item 3. This is an approach
that has been amply
demonstrated will fail — and create tons of work for future attorneys.

Here are the questions that I normally ask following best practices for a
city or statewide technology
communications roll‐out plan:
1. Do you have a detailed technology integration plan for your
city/county/state?

2. Does it combine short and long term goals?

3. What are the real economic/social benefits of the plan (and liabilities
if it goes wrong), based on
solid and verifiable research? How will you track that they are being
achieved and what
mechanisms are in place to adjust the plan if they are not being achieved?

4. Do you understand the business oversight and management operations
needed?

5. Does your legal team understand the issues with transferring old Right of
Way (ROW)
agreements into the new plan? 6. Do you have a good understanding of your
current ROWs: where and how extensive they are,
how they are being used, and the economic value of that usage?

7. Do you understand how the value of your ROWs will change in the future?

8. Does your technology , operations and legal team understand the benefits
and liabilities of
different technologies (coax cable/fiber/ISDN/1, 2, 3, or 4G
Wireless/Wi‐fi/WiMax) Laser?

9. Has your technology, operations and legal team prepared a business plan
based on a SWOT
(strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) analysis of the volume and
value of application
services that will ride on the network as well as best practices for the
installation and
maintenance of the actual hardware and software infrastructure?

10. Who is/are the point person(s) in your organization for technology
integration/business
operations/legal oversight and what experience do they have with technology
integration
planning and execution?

11. Has your city/county/state used outside consultants who stand to gain in
any way to advise you
with regard to the technology/business/legal choices you are undertaking?

>From our inspection of your posted ordinance, so far it would appear that
the business and technology
piece is being driven by the legal mandate, and very few if any of the above
questions have been asked,
much less addressed. The experience of many jurisdictions has shown that if
answers to the above
questions are not crystal clear, well documented, understood and bought into
by all parties before the
ordinance is drafted, if the ordinance is not drafted in response to those
answers, then bigger legal
issues will inevitably evolve from whatever ordinance is adopted.

During our conversation, you told me the ordinance was originally drafted
from copies of the Albuquerque ordina by your office with no involvement
from other departments — in other words, from a purely legal perspective.
Yet 90% of the
public discussion that has gone on so far have been about technology issues,
about the preference for
one type of network carrier technology versus another. Although that focus
might make great press, it
concerns only one portion of one question in our list — a question that has
not, as I understand it, really
been addressed at all in the planning stages.

It’s our considered opinion that any action taken without prior development
of a business plan that
addresses all 11 questions outlined above will yield no net benefit for the
city, will likely create
situations that open the city to further legal challenge, and will have the
result of locking the city into a
situation where it is significantly under‐exploiting the value of its ROWs.
Therefore, I would highly
recommend a moratorium on this issue by the city council until a sound
business plan can be drawn up.

As always, should you wish to engage our professional services to assist in
this regard, we will be very
happy to submit a proposal. In the meantime, please feel free to call me
with any questions about what I
have laid out so far.

Sincerely,

Peter Baston