[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe Bill would HALT all residential / business WIFI installs

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Wed May 5 19:49:46 PDT 2010

True, the letters W I F I are not in the bill.

But

There is a current and immediate threat to public health, safety and
welfare because, without this urgency ordinance, towers and antennas
could be installed, constructed or modified ......

Notice that the word ANTENNAS is listed.  I believe that a WiFi device
would need such ANTENNA so as to provide telecommunications services.

The term WIRELESS is used, which WiFi is a subset of.

The bill seems to have the authority to prevent you from putting up say
a 23dBI Grid dish on your roof, pointed towards another antenna
someplace else within the city.

A microwave oven is NOT a telecommunications facility, nor does it
provide telecommunications services.

The bill DOES say ".... wireless telecommunication facilities within all
private properties..."   Note the words WITHIN ALL PRIVATE PROPERTIES.

This would appear to include the cordless telephone, baby monitor, alarm
systems, Audio/Video systems, security cameras, and CELL PHONES.

Please reference Chapter 14-6.2(E) of the existing code.

To quote:
14-6.2(E)2 Applicability

All towers or antennas located within the City limits whether upon
private or public lands shall be subject to this section....

Certain exclusions exist, but those do NOT exclude WIFI

I would think that this means you can't go to Wal-Mart and buy a Linksys
wireless router anymore....

The point here is that, non-technical, non-understanding people are
writing words down and are not thinking the implications of such words.

I know no method to secure the repeal of bad or obnoxious laws so
effective as their stringent execution.  Ulysses S. Grant

Federally licensed amateur radio operators are excluded.

73's

John Brown