[1st-mile-nm] [Open-net-working-group] Fwd: Genachowski to reclassify portions of broadband to assert FCC authority over Internet access

Jim Pickrell jimp at brandx.net
Wed May 5 21:39:19 PDT 2010

Hi,

I think this is the best news I have heard in a long time.

If internet is reclassified as a telecoms service, then the telcos become
common carriers (imagine that) and all the competitive rules created under
the telecom act apply to internet.

We're back in business.

This is what our supreme court case was about (Brand X V. FCC)

This is really big news, if they really do it.  It's the right plan, and
something I've been promoting for a long time.

For the record I'm against net neutrality because it's a bandaid to cure a
deeper problem of lack of competition.  Regulation cannot solve the net
neutrality problem but competition can, and reclassifying internet as
telecoms is a big step in the right direction.

Jim Pickrell
Brand X Internet