[1st-mile-nm] Susan Crawford on Why U.S. Internet Access is Slow, Costly, and Unfair on Vimeo

Gary Gomes ggomes at soundviewnet.com
Tue Feb 12 05:08:25 PST 2013

Steve,

I read your magazine and appreciate your efforts in promoting broadband and
recognize that video content providers are a huge problem, but  I hope that
you do not mean to suggest that two suppliers equals effective competition.

There are countless studies that document the fact that oligopolists act
just  like monopolists - even absent overt collusion.  It is just the nature
of the beast.

The problem in the US is that we have virtually unregulated monopoly/duopoly
for-profit companies running a public utility service (cable and fiber
plant), another oligopoly running the content creation (networks origin) as
well as over-the-air waves, and a third duopoly running cellular.  Is it any
wonder they do not compete on price?

Do you really believe that cost of the subsidized phones is the reason for
the high US cellular rates?     The numbers suggest otherwise.

The fact is that unfettered  market competition does not work for the
consumer (in the long term) in the absence of a large number of potential
providers.

Gary