[1st-mile-nm] Susan Crawford on Why U.S. Internet Access is Slow, Costly, and Unfair on Vimeo

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 05:42:40 PST 2013

High prices come about for two reasons: The real costs of providing service
and of course monopolistic rents. As much as I have railed against USA
pricing practices, most of the price really has to be due to costs, not
monopolistic practices, as far as landlines are concerned. Mobile is more
complicated -- Wall Street has provided a lot of money for mobile expansion
but has extracted a high rent of its own. Just look at how telecom/cable
stocks have trended -- middle-of-pack for past decade.

1. Two suppliers are not effective competition, but Crawford says there is
only one in Manhattan. That is a lie. She says TWC monthly bill is $200.
That would mean for someone getting the most expensive video tiers.

2. Sorry, cost of good cell phone to carriers has been $500-600 and when
they charge $100 the balance must be built into the price over the next two
years. I have a "no contract" unlimited-everything 2-line family plan with
T-Mobile for $99. I just bought my wife a Galaxy SIII unlocked for $550.
That's the way it works. Crawford claims cell costs in Europe are $30 a
month. They are not that low and there are a lot of hidden fees and roaming
charges as well. They are lower than in the US, but totally explained by
phone subsidies, really. Apple is the monopolist.

3. Content providers (there are seven major networks, not the four Crawford
claims) are also the monopolists.That's where your fees mainly go. I have
argued that the duopoly's pricing power allows the pass-through of content
costs, but that pricing power has clearly been declining. The content
providers "bundle" their services. You want ESPN 1 and 2? Sorry, you have
to carry the other 9 ESPN channels as well! But as with audio, the bundling
will eventually collapse. The American Cable association (seemingly a
monopolist tool) wants FCC to allow a la carte content over the top (on
internet broadband). Doesn't sound monopolistic to me.

4. On phones, there is not a duopoly -- plenty of low-cost carriers in the
business but not in rural areas. Ugh. Mobile providers also want to cut
their costs by pushing you onto your own wifi and not compensating the
landline provider -- unless of course they ARE the landline provider.

5. I carefully model fiber network building and operating costs, and the
models are downloadable, free, at www.bbcmag.com or the quick link,
www.FTTHAnalyzer.com. Basically, if a network provider can make a gross
profit (before overhead) of $50 per customer per month, it can get by with
8 customers a mile. That typically means 12-16 homes per mile. Any change
in this picture requires government subsidy (which I and Crawford support,
but which is a pipe dream these days) or much lower interest rates (tier 3
LECs these days are paying 10%... ugh).

6. Because of lack of access to reasonably priced capital, hardly any new
networks are being built right now. Our advertising base has been cut in
half as vendors collapse into one another. I always teach my journalism
students to "follow the money." The money goes to handset suppliers and
content providers, not to network providers.

7. Qwest/CenturyLink is indeed screwing folks out west, but they are also
low on cash. A better business model for them would be to partner with
munis, to tap assets that munis can mortgage for cheap capital. That's
where I would fault them.

Steve

editorsteve at gmail.com