[1st-mile-nm] Susan Crawford on Why U.S. Internet Access is Slow, Costly, and Unfair on Vimeo

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Feb 12 06:08:11 PST 2013

It saddens me to see Steve fall into the trap that so many seem to be
falling into these days - suggesting that the cable companies and the
content providers are separate entities.

It is a very gray area.

We all know that Comcast owns many channels now through NBCU and many other
cable operators have ownersship stakes in the channels they carry (that are
supposedly gouging them).  I guess ABC/ESPN/Disney is the exception, but to
suggest that the cable companies are getting raked by the content companies
ignores a complicity that benefits them and restricts competition.

Susan has a good focus on this in her book, particularly the role of sports
networks in protecting monopoly.

I don't live in Manhattan, but from what I have seen, FiOS is far from
widely available yet. It will be eventually, but I think there are some
years yet left in the expansion there.  Susan likes to learn from mistakes,
so I hope Steve will point this out to her - I doubt we'll hear her say it
again if she is presented with evidence that she is wrong.

As for the mobile market, I again think Steve is too charitable to the
phone companies -- I can buy my own handset but I don't get a break on the
bill from Verizon... I pay the same damn cost on my phone that is 3 years
old as I would a new one - that is Verizon's choice and they have made a
sound one when it comes to extracting the most cash from me. Sure, I could
go to a small competitor that has crap coverage (I travel frequently enough
to rural enough spots that it is impractical) but like the vast majority of
Americans, I find my only real options are Verizon and AT&T for wireless.

As for following the money - who wants to loan capital to anyone that is
going to compete on a playing field so dominated by Comcast/Verizon/et al?
 One has to be somewhat crazy, because private sector competition has no
future in these United States.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Telecommunications as Commons Initiative
Institute for Local Self-Reliance

http://www.muninetworks.org
@communitynets
612-276-3456 x209