[1st-mile-nm] NM DoIT Broadband Program: Update

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Fri Apr 5 14:48:03 PDT 2013

A few weeks ago, Gar Clarke provided an encapsulated update
on the NM Broadband Program, which is this State's NTIA funded
broadband mapping, planning, capacity building and technical
assistance initiative.

I urge you to bookmark and occasionally look at the program
web site for added information and materials, and for those
with time and interest, to please participate in the process
at:  http://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/index.shtml

In this update, I'd like to note that a NM Working Group
had its first meeting on March 27, with additional meetings now
scheduled, leading to a late Summer report and action agendas.
Surveys have been prepared to address education, healthcare and
economic development issues and information gathering.
See:  http://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/bb_workgroup.shtml

The New Mexico Broadband Program (NMBBP) is launching two Regional
Broadband Implementation Plan (RBIP) Pilots within the State to
be completed by September 2014. These Pilots will not only provide
technical assistance to help the regional groups chosen achieve a
solid planning, funding and technology framework, but will also
identify future funding to expand this implementation concept
throughout New Mexico.   To apply by May 17, See:
http://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/surveys.shtml      and:
http://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/docs/NMBBP_RBIP_Application_final.pdf

The New Mexico Broadband Program Community Broadband Master Plan
Guidebook   Version 1.1, March 2013    has just been posted.
http://www.doit.state.nm.us/broadband/reports/NM_Broadband_Guidebook_v1_1_final.pdf

New Mexico Broadband Program Speed Test has also been deployed.
Give it a try:  http://nmbbmapping.org/speedtest/

There's probably a lot more to update this list about, and I'll
leave it to Gar to do so.   There is a good amount of work being
planned for the coming months, through 2015.   As the State proceeds,
I'd like to encourage some participation, productive comments and
related efforts by 1st-Mile subscribers.  Productive is the key word.

Simply being critical of process or outcomes is to easy, even though
there may be vital issues to be critical of.   The challenge before us
is to move our state, communities, companies, institutions and
residents
forward, and not just to be playing 'catch-up'.  This list should be
one place where we can influence the State's process at a high level.
Not an easy task, but I for one hope we can do so.

Richard

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504