[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: High Speed Internet Project Launched

MOODY, SEAN sxmoody at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Mon May 20 09:06:38 PDT 2013

Hi Owen & John,

The City Council wanted this particular program to focus on economic
development, in particular on alleviating constraints faced by
businesses needing symmetric very-high-speeds. Examples are a film
studio and a data mining consultant who must transfer huge files up and
down.

That said, the architecture of this first phase is intended to be very
adaptable and should benefit all of Santa Fe's residents by lowering the
$10/mbps marginal wholesale cost of backhaul which drives retail
subscription speeds. In fact we are hoping respondents will propose
alternate routes to pick up potential users along the way. And once the
project is operational we expect carriers and providers to build out
from the core to accommodate customer demand.

Sean

Sean Moody
City of Santa Fe