[1st-mile-nm] FW: Udall: Almost 9, 000 NM Households to Gain Broadband Access

Steve Smith sas at lava3d.com
Mon Sep 9 21:15:35 PDT 2013

The FCC maps here and the NM DoIT maps both over-report service
coverage.   I know for a fact that there are many locations through the
Pojoaque Valley (and probably Nambe, Tesuque, etc) that don't have
broadband access for a combination of topographic, geographic, and
right-of-way reasons.   Both maps show that there is broadband coverage
throughout.  NM DoIT was readily willing to acknowledge that the
commercial service providers over-report coverage for various reasons.

While I think the grants referenced here probably give the best return
on investment in terms of number of unserved citizens becoming served
citizens, they don't necessarily address the problem of how to help
those who are hardest to help with the most obvious solutions:  1)
telephone network upgraded to provide DSL class capabilities; 2) Cable
Network, ditto; 3) Line of Site Wireless from Pajarito and Santa Fe Ski
summits;  4) Cellular data.

I *was* able to replace my Tewacom service (who shut down on Aug 30)
with CNSP, but the install techs acknowledged that I was *right at* the
limit of their reach (32.2 km) from their tower on Santa Fe Baldy (I
don't have LOS to Pajarito) and if I had not been fairly aggressive with
pruning some of my trees, they would not have been able to get LOS at
all.   I have been told by others with more understanding of the
technology and regulatory milieu that it is unlikely that CNSP (or
anyone else) could pick up 300 more households in the valley without
running out of licensed bandwidth and/or physical bandwidth in the bands
they use.

I am interested (as are a handful of others) in continuing to pursue the
problem of how to get higher bandwidth (or *any* bandwidth) to these
un(der)served areas.   An honest accounting of those who will NOT be
served by this latest round of funding would be very helpful but I can
imagine that it would be hard for the recipients of those grants to help
identify where their easiest/best strategies don't work.

Anyone with ideas for how to collect better data on the truly
un(der)served would be very welcome.  Also anyone else with interest in
a CoOp or non-profit model to pursue grants and a self-organizing,
self-helping model would also be welcome.   I'm primarily interested in
local wireless tree or mesh networks to reach these un(der)served areas
*from* the RediNet backbone, but I'm open to other thoughts as well.

- Steve

--
Los Alamos Visualization Associates
LAVA-Synergy