[1st-mile-nm] NM PED Tech Map

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Tue Mar 4 13:51:47 PST 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 02:35:36PM -0700, Edward Angel wrote:
>    One consequence of testing is that has affected our CS4All project in
>    rural districts is that during testing periods, the testing takes up all
>    the available bandwidth so that students in our classes (dual credit UNM
>    and high school) may have no access for up to two weeks in a hands-on
>    computer class.

Interesting.  The requirements have been stated in kb/s/student, but I
always thought that was just a normalized number.  Your note makes me
think that the testing has a continuous streaming component.

Has anyone actually looked at this traffic to characterize it?  Is it
a continuous flow of data for each student?  Or does is it intermittent
and spike when the move from one question to the next?

I realize this has *little* to do with the normal 1st-mile list traffic,
as it really pertains to *how* the SBAs are administered.  Should the
requirements be pushed up if testing encumbers other students?

I'll go back to lurking unless others become as intrigued as me.