[1st-mile-nm] "Wired to fail"

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 20:49:30 PDT 2015

Romm obviously went into this with zero knowledge and a chip on his
shoulder, put there by big ISPs. He complains that RUS was so careful it
might leave a tiny amount of stimulus money on the table, and so careless
that there is danger of default. The rules of the game: grantees have to
spend the matching funds before they draw down the RUS loan funds. The ISPs
that got grants and turned them down? About normal for any grant program
but low given recession environment. All the funds he worries won't get
spent, probably will. I complained (in my Hawk column) several times over
the years that RUS should have risked more to be stimulative. But to see a
tyro come along at the end of a complicated process and complain is frankly
annoying.