[1st-mile-nm] "Wired to fail"

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:48:40 PDT 2015

Just to be clear, RUS up until a few years ago had never (technically) lost
money on a loan. Reform of the USF and recession has changed the record,
but not on loans under the stimulus program. Loss rate is far, far below
that for regular banks. I happen to see that as a weakness at RUS, not a
strength.

The biggest issue is that there are a lot of areas and a lot of (mainly
large) carriers that don't see adequate return in improving service in much
of their service areas, have fully depreciated their facilities in those
areas, but won't get out of the way for local carriers, public utilities,
and so forth that are willing to accept a much lower rate of return in
exchange for soft dollars -- economic growth, residents' needs and so
forth. The incumbents claim they face unfair competition from these new
carriers coming in with lower cost of money, even if they built their
systems with cheap money long ago. They churn out press releases, buy a
congressman or six or sixty, take journalists to lunch...

Often, the models suggest they would earn more money by renting space on a
modern new network they didn't have to build (see my Bandwidth Hawk column
in the May-June issue). But competition is a dirty word for them.
Sometimes, rarely, they do get screwed by RUS or someone else when the
rules change (and I have trouble with the proprietary FCC model, BTW).
Those rare screwings become their poster children.

This is how the regulatory game is played, though. Everyone gets subsidies
of one kind or another, either in free or low-cost money or in tax
deductions and good rate deals. The deals change as public policy and
technical imperatives change. There are always going to be some losers and
some winners among the carriers. You want only winners among the populace,
though.

Steve Ross
Editor-at-Large, Broadband Communities Magazine (www.bbcmag.com)
201-456-5933 mobile, 781-284-8810 landline
707-WOW-SSR3 (707-969-7773) Google Voice
editorsteve (Facebook, LinkedIn)
editorsteve1 (Twitter)
steve at bbcmag.com
editorsteve at gmail.com