[1st-mile-nm] "Wired to fail"

Masha Zager masha at bbcmag.com
Fri Jul 31 12:51:12 PDT 2015

According to a GAO report, RUS awarded over $3 billion for the BIP stimulus program, which was considerably more money than it had budgeted (because some loans were repaid and recycled), and most of the projects were in fact built. If $277 million is in fact left over (which I would doubt), that’s less than 10% of the total. Estimated subscribers as of 2014 were about 730,000. Presumably, homes passed exceed the number of subscribers by quite a bit, and take rates should rise as time goes on. The goals were homes passed, not subscribers.

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-511

Certainly the program was not perfect (unsurprising, given that it was put together in a big hurry with a lot of stringent or even impossible conditions) but to paint it as a disaster doesn’t seem fair.

Likewise with the regular RUS broadband program, which has faced a number of hurdles (including lack of funding for several years because the Farm Bill was years late) but has still funded many successful projects. Anyone who has ever applied for a RUS loan will tell you they put a lot of effort (way too much effort, in the view of most borrowers) into “helping the applicant develop a workable plan.”