[1st-mile-nm] CenturyLink Accepts Nearly $506 Million in Annual Support from Connect America Fund

John Badal JBadal at sacred-wind.com
Thu Aug 27 19:53:23 PDT 2015

Mike

FCC's CAF II money is only offered to price cap carriers (in NM, only CenturyLink, Frontier, and Windstream) and then made available to Eligible Telecomm Carriers ("ETC") in a state where the price cap carrier rejects the money for broadband deployment.   The former 2 carriets accepted the CAF II support for NM and Windstream rejected it.  If you're interested in vying for CAF II support for Windstream's eligible areas in NM you'll need to obtain ETC designation from our PRC and keep you're eye on future notices from the FCC regarding the reverse auction process for that rejected support.  Participation in the reverse auction and the ETC application are not simple and are big tasks for a little company with little regulatory experience.

Alternatively,  the USDA-RUS has several rural broadband grant and loan programs for entities with sound financial and technical backgrounds.  The application processes there are far more predictable and a lot more help is made available during the process, but still can be daunting for the novice.

I suggest you speak with folks who've gone through either and do your studies on the USDA and FCC websites.

John