[1st-mile-nm] Low-Power FM Radio in Albuquerque

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Sun May 1 10:16:29 PDT 2016

Locally created community media, in all its forms, is critical
to the well-being of our networked local-global lives.
Here's a 'snip' from a longer recent posting.
RL

------

Amid Media Megamergers, a Mosaic of Community Media Thrives
By Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan,  Apr 28 2016
<http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/amid_media_megamergers_a_mosaic_of_community_media_thrives_20160428>

(snip)

Take, for example, the new low-power FM (LPFM) radio station that is
being built in Albuquerque, New Mexico. LPFM is a noncommercial radio
service that recently got a boost from the Federal Communications
Commission after activists spent years pushing the federal government to
allow more stations. This new station in Albuquerque is licensed to a
long-standing media nonprofit called Quote…Unquote, which provides
training in digital-media creation, to empower people to tell their own
stories.

To launch the station, they have partnered with the Robert F. Kennedy
High School, a remarkable school in the South Valley, one of the poorest
neighborhoods of Albuquerque, with a population of students who are
largely undocumented immigrants. “We serve students that traditional
schools have given up on,” Robert Baade, RFK’s director, told us. “The
radio station will be one more tool for them, to allow them to speak for
themselves.”

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,