[1st-mile-nm] Digital mediocrity - Santa Fe Reporter

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Wed Nov 1 11:01:44 PDT 2017

As is the case, there are many details that are left out.

A huge part of the problem is that the current rules don't create an
easier process for providers
to show up.
I presented in 2016 to a State panel that there are a couple of very
simple things our state could do
to make it more inviting for folks to build infra-structure.  NONE of
those things have been acted on.

1. Create a single stop state wide place to secure right of way /
franchise agreement.
    At present a carrier would have to negotiate with hundreds of
entities in the state to secure
    rights of way. Each wanting their own special deal.  Get rid of
that.  Have a single stop shop.
    Negotiate once, get the entire state, county, city all at once.
Local politics and fiefdom games
    keep this from happening.

2. Create State level rules on pole attachment.  These would replace
or enhance Federal Rules.
    Make it painful for current pole owners (PNM, CenturyLink, etc) to
prevent access.
    Today one has to spend large amounts of money and even litigation
to get pole attachment
    which is already guaranteed by federal law.  So carriers have to
WASTE money on litigation
    and legal costs to get what is already suppose to be available.

3. Create State level rules that permit the equitable sharing of
infra-structure sites.
    For example, The State has radio towers around the state that are
hardly used.
    Those towers could be used to help bring broadband into rural areas.

4.  Remove costly permitting processes.  Some communities in our state
charge more than
     $3K per application to attach an antenna to an existing
structure.  This is nothing more than
    that community trying to enhance their general operating bank
account with more money.
    This is counter to the demands and needs for better broadband
services that the citizens are
    screaming for.

Listen up Muni's  You want people to stay in your community, you want
new companies to move
to your communities, you want job growth, you want competitive
broadband, and you want FASTER
service.  So says your citizens.  So you need to STOP trying to nickel
and dime the carriers who
are willing to bring it to your community.  Its simple business
economics.   If a business can't make
a reasonable profit in your community, do you think they will show up ??   Nope.

I would argue that you as a Muni make more money via enhanced jobs,
more businesses, more
people living there, over a longer period of time, than the high cost
that you are putting on the
carriers.

BTW:   Carriers equal anyone that is trying to run a business
providing services in your community.
Its not just the :"Big Bad Companies".  Its all of us that provide
services.  If the cost is to high, it
won't happen.

Pojoaque Valley, I'd be happy to provide really fast affordable
broadband in your community.
Read, I'm willing to spend 10's to 100's of thousands on capital costs
for infra-structure, backbone
connectivity, routers, radios, antennas, installation costs, etc.
What are you willing to bring to the
table ??   Do you have buildings I can mount some small antennas to
and distribute the signal ??
Are you willing to work on building a good partnership?  one where
your citizens get great service
and we have a chance at making a reasonable income ??
If YES, then call me.

Our state history is full of initiatives that have come, gone and
failed.  We keep doing the same thing
and expecting a different outcome.  It hasn't happened yet.