[1st-mile-nm] AT&T broadband over power lines trial

John Badal JBadal at sacred-wind.com
Mon Dec 18 07:48:21 PST 2017

I looked at this a few years ago, visiting with a former Sandia Labs expert on the matter, and concluded then that the technology was nowhere near acceptable in the U.S.  Older power equipment in rural areas and the number of transponders seemed to be just one hurdle.  Signal loss is another.  If I recall one overriding issue, with our DC electric power grids that require a power transformer every specified distance, Broadband Over Powerline (BBPL) will require corrective equipment at every transformer, not just at the switch and customer premise.  I’m eager to see what AT&T comes up with.  It’ll take a deep pockets company to figure this out.

John