[1st-mile-nm] NLR recollection

Christopher Mitchell christopher at ilsr.org
Thu Feb 8 18:22:28 PST 2018

In addition to what John Brown said and something that does not violate
federal law as I believe John Osmon's suggestions do (though they are valid
ideas, just not under current federal rules) - I would suggest what
Kentucky is doing. Rather than paying leasing lines from AT&T for its many
state offices and facilities, it is taking the money it would have used for
leases and building an open access fiber network to those areas with a
point of presence in each county.  This is something that doesn't solve all
the problems, but it does help in a number of areas.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Community Broadband Networks
Institute for Local Self-Reliance

MuniNetworks.org <http://www.muninetworks.org/>