[1st-mile-nm] FCC 5G Ruling

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:31:13 PDT 2018

And... 2 years old, but an article more or less what I've been saying:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/chickens-and-eggs-problem-5g-use-case

Filling a much needed gap...

I'll have to look up the reference but other analysts are showing up with
the surprising notion that this is all about challenging cable for consumer
video. (And, my personal twist, getting the public to pay for the buildout
via scary stories about China and global competitiveness.)

I agree that the morass of local regulations are a total impediment to
uniform buildouts. But the overreach isn't a great precedent and I don't
for a second believe that the carriers are going to keep the aesthetic or
safety or consumer needs of local communities as significant
considerations. Or the underserved.

On the other hand, living in a relatively well to do community, I'd be
pretty happy with $70/mo 300Mbps service.

  Doug