[1st-mile-nm] FCC 5G Ruling

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:54:12 PDT 2018

Oh, and I don't think I forwarded this recent one from Ars where Verizon
admits it is intending to use 5g to compete against existing cable companies
<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/10/hate-your-comcast-broadband-verizon-might-sell-you-5g-home-internet/>.
No autonomous vehicles, no IOT, no telemedicine. Video entertainment. For
those already served by cable.

Here's a fun article on 5g
<https://www.marketplace.org/2018/10/11/tech/local-national-and-global-fight-over-5g-infrastructure>
from Marketplace with the money quote:* "But all this raises the question:
If 5G is such a big deal, economically and in terms of security, should the
federal government pay for it?" *Great question, Marketplace! I smell
bonuses all around for the Verizon marketing department! Wag the Dog,
wireless operator edition.

  Doug

p.s. Of course Comcast also doesn't like net neutrality (Ars yesterday
<https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/10/comcast-complains-it-will-make-less-money-under-calif-net-neutrality-law/>),
it will make less money! This whole charade boils down to two things: (a)
saturated cable market, and (b) saturated mobile market. Oh, plus cord
cutting and the inability of mobile operators to serve video at scale.