[Davis Democrats] FW: Protest the Cover-Up of the Shooting of Giuliana Sgrena

John cC jac07 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:24:36 PDT 2005

with liberty for justice for all

From: Danny Schechter <mediachannel at democracyinaction.org>
To: jac07 at hotmail.com
Subject: Protest the Cover-Up of the Shooting of Giuliana Sgrena
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:06:19 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Media for Democracy Member,

When Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena's car was fired upon near the
Baghdad airport by U.S. soldiers, resulting in her wounding and the death of
intelligence agent Nicola Calipari, press freedom groups demanded an
impartial and independent international investigation. The Pentagon rebuffed
the call.

Instead, the United States military investigated itself -- amidst reports
that an Italian invited to join the probe was denied access to the vehicle
that was involved in the incident. This is consistent with earlier U.S.
Journalists for independent inquires into earlier shootings of journalists.
In every case, the Pentagon rejected outsiders from the process.

Last night on CBS's "60 Minutes Two," Sgrena denied the official story and
accused the United States military of lying about the details.

(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/12/60II/main687555.shtml)

Sgrena says she was less than a half-mile from the airport, when the
shooting began:

"Seven hundred meters more, and we are in the airport, and we will be safe
and we will be in the airport. And in the same moment, started the
shooting."

Sgrena says that as the car rounded a turn, driving no faster than 30 miles
an hour, it was hit by gunfire and at the same time, a bright light. She and
Calipari were in the back seat. "He [Calipari] pushed me down and with this,
the body, covered me," says Sgrena. "He pushed me down in the car. And I was
asking, 'Why?' Nicola doesn't say, he doesn't speak it, doesn't say
nothing."

Other reports based on earlier interviews and another eyewitness account
insisted: They lied about the checkpoint, speeding, hand and arm signals,
warning shots, etc. There was no "checkpoint" where the shooting incident
took place. The car was not "speeding", there were no "hand and arm
signals", there were no "warning shots", and there were no "engine block"
shots. The shooters ambushed the car from behind. There were earlier reports
that an "elite combat unit," a CIA contingency of personal body guards for
new national intelligence chief John Negroponte, may have been involved.

These are serious charges, yet a military-led investigation is poised to
exonerate the soldiers and dismiss the critics once again. The pro-war
Murdoch-owned New York Post reports today:

"April 14, 2005 -- U.S. soldiers reportedly have been cleared of wrongdoing
in the shooting of an Italian journalist and an intelligence agent last
month in Baghdad.

"U.S. military officials told NBC News that a joint American-Italian
investigation found the soldiers acted properly in firing on a car bearing a
just-freed hostage, journalist Giuliana Sgrena, and an intelligence officer,
Nicola Calipari.

"The car was about 130 yards from a checkpoint when the soldiers flashed
their lights to get it to stop. They fired warning shots when the car was
within 90 yards of the checkpoint, but at 65 yards, they used deadly force.
Calipari was killed and Sgrena wounded."

http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/23237.htm

Media for Democracy is calling on its members and supporters as well as
media colleagues to join us in protesting this latest outrage and cover-up.
Support press freedom -- denounce the suspicious killings and harassment of
journalists in Iraq. Since the invasion in March 2003, more than a dozen
journalists and media staff have been killed in Iraq by U.S. troops. Tell
the Pentagon and the White House that the United States needs to act to
defend its traditions of liberty and justice by addressing the concerns of
journalists and citizens around the world over the failure to conduct
credible investigations into the deaths of journalists and media staff in
Iraq.

** George W. Bush
President, United States of America
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Tel.: +1 202-456-2461
Email: president at whitehouse.gov

** Donald H. Rumsfeld
Secretary of Defense, United States of America
1000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-100-
Email: www.defenselink.mil/faq/comment.html

** Peter Vangjel
Brigadier General, United States Army
1000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1000
Email: www.defenselink.mil/faq/comment.html

We Demand the Truth. Please speak up and speak out.

Sincerely,
Danny Schechter
Editor, MediaChannel.org
Director, "WMD (Weapons of Mass Deception)"
http://www.wmdthefilm.com

HAVE FEEDBACK?
Write to us at info at mediachannel.org

Concerned about the media? TELL A FRIEND!
http://www.demaction.org/mediachannel/tellafriend.jsp?tell_a_friend_KEY=89

MAKE MEDIACHANNEL.ORG YOUR HOME
on the Web for news, analysis, resources and more.
http://www.mediachannel.org