[Davis Democrats] Support our California Secretary of State Debra Bowen--vs. Hackable voting machines--

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Aug 1 17:26:30 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rick Jacobs <rjacobs at couragecampaign.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:46:16 -0400
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Remember Florida and Ohio?

 <http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/m/c4FpO33xDxo/MkpJMk>
Dear John:

I don't know about  you, but when I vote, I want to know that my vote is
counted.  Some in California seem to think hacking of electronic voting
machines is just fine. Grassroots champion Secretary of State Debra Bowen
doesn't think it's fine. Do you?

Secretary Bowen must decide by this Friday, August 3, whether to decertify
suspect electronic voting machines. Sign here today to support Secretary of
State Bowen in demanding the sanctity of each and every vote.

http://www.couragecampaign.org/SecureElections
<http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/m/c4FpO33xDxo/hgsavI>

 We just cannot afford to wonder whether our votes are accurately counted in
California elections.  Not here. Not in the largest state in the union. But
that's just what some county election officials say should happen. Secretary
Bowen has come up with a comprehensive review1 that makes clear that some
electronic voting machines are easily hacked ‹ but some county election
officials question the need for any  security review of those machines2.
Some county election officials don't seem to care that  voters lack  faith
in electronic voting systems. No wonder people say, "why bother to vote?
They won't count it anyway." Now, we  hear of Registrars that say there's
not enough time to make sure that every vote counts. This is pretty simple:
if we have time to vote, we damn well want those officials to make the time
to count our votes.

http://www.couragecampaign.org/SecureElections
<http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/m/c4FpO33xDxo/hgsavI>

Remember Ohio in 2004?  Or Florida in 2000?  If not for a hanging chad or
hackable machine, would Al Gore be president now?  Or John Kerry?
Californians face a February primary that can decide who will be the nominee
for each party.  And then a set of elections in June that will decide who
figures out our budget in Sacramento and maybe even who can and can't get
married.  And then in November we¹ll decide, along with other states, who
will be President.

Demand secure elections
<http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/m/c4FpO33xDxo/hgsavI> !

Support grassroots champion Debra Bowen's plan.  Join our friends across the
state who have led on this issue.  Make every vote count.

Thanks for all you do!

Rick Jacobs
Chair
Courage Campaign

1. http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vsr.htm
2.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/MNGP6R8TJO1.DTL

P.S. ‹ It's through your support that we are able to bring Californians
together to do what's right. Will you make a contribution today?

http://www.couragecampaign.org/donate
<http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/m/c4FpO33xDxo/r1P39v>

Paid for by the Courage Campaign.

This email was sent to: