[Davis Democrats] Last Potluck event for a while

G Richard Yamagata PhD yamagata at virtual-markets.net
Wed Apr 23 11:45:27 PDT 2008

Greetings Everyone,

Just to remind people, this next general meeting, Tomorrow, is our last
potluck until August or September.

The May General Meeting has been given over to Lyle Smith.  We have been
doing this for the last 5 year in honor of Lyle's lifetime of working for
the Democratic Party and Democratic causes.  Tentatively, Lyle is planning
to have this meeting at Lamppost Pizza in May.  More information will follow
as we get close to this event.  This is usually not a potluck event.

The June General Meeting is our Champagne Brunch.  The tentative date is
sometime in June on a Sunday that is NOT Father's Day.  This event has been
held at the home Gregg and Marla Cook's for over 20 years.  This is not a
potluck event and is one of two events where the Davis Democratic Club Board
provides the food for the event.  This is one of four requirement of DDC
board membership to provide food for this event.  Just to let people know,
the other requirements are:  Board Members must work a minimum of 2 hours
per week on club activities or 10 hours per month, must attend 3 out of 5
monthly board meetings (all board meetings have been over 3 hours long), and
Board Members must donate to the club at a level above basic membership
rates (more than $15/year).

The July club event is the Davis Democratic Club booth at Davis Central Park
where the City has its Fireworks Display.  We have had a bake sale at this
event in past years and club members can participate by dropping off their
baked goods for the club to sell at the booth for the Club.  Treasurer Betty
Weir thanks all of the people that drop off baked goods to sell to
strengthen our treasury for the Fall Election Cycle.  The club needs to have
$20,000 in its treasury to open the campaign headquarters and keep it open
until election day.  We raise this money over a 2 year period and then spend
it all on the Fall elections (Presidential and Gubernatorial).

The August-September event is the Ice Cream Social, which use to be hosted
by Ben and Jerry Kaneko.  Ben has passed on to Cat Heaven and is now
replaced by Jerry's feline friend, Emily (Emily's list).  This event is "To
Be Announced," and is arranged around Jerry Kaneko's busy schedule.  There
will be more details as this event gets closer.  This year will mark the
15th occurence of this event(which started in August of 1994).  Another bit
of trivia is that to my knowledge Lois Wolk has not missed a single one of
these at the home of Jerry Kaneko.  Jerry Kaneko and the DDC both thank her
for her continued physical support of this event.  This last year at this
event in 2007, Lois honored club Treasurer Betty Weir with an Assembly
Resolution in observance of Betty's 92nd Birthay and her 57 years of service
to the Davis Democratic Club and the community of Davis.

We usually have 1 or 2 general meetings in the Fall and we have the DDC Club
Barbeque, which in non-election cycle years, has been hosted at the home of
Stephen Souza.  This event is annually coordinated by Mike Syvanen.  In
Election Years, which this year is one, we usually try to have this fall
event at the Davis Campaign Headquarters.  This is where the club and its
members traditionally gather to honor and feed the campaign workers that
volunteer their time for the club and the Democratic Party in Davis.  We
also, usually have a headquarters grand openning event hosted by the DDC.

The last event of the year is the Davis Democratic Club Holiday Party, held
the first Friday of December.  This year we are having this event at the
International House in Davis.  It has been held at the home of Doug Kaplan
for over 16 years.  The club plans to honor Doug for hosting the party at
his home for such a long time.  This is not a potluck event and is last of
two events where the Davis Democratic Club Board provides all the food for
the event.  This is one of four requirements of DDC board membership to
provide food for this event.

So, the bottomline, is that if you enjoy the potluck events, this will be
the last one for several months and it promises to be a very good meeting.

Take care,

Richard
G Richard Yamagata  PhD
CEO/President   VME Inc.   http://www.vme.net/   http://vme.net/bcards/bio.html
Phone: 530-VIV-VMEI or 530-848-8634

G Richard Yamagata is a member of the Davis Community Network Board of
Directors, Secretary of the Board of Directors for the Davis Democratic
Club, President of the board of Virtual Market Enterprises, Inc,
Secretary-Treasurer of the board of the Davis Progressive Business
Exchange and communications liason for the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows Chapter 169 and the Business Link of Woodland and Davis.

For public service to the Democratic Party of Yolo County,
Recipient of the 2007 Williamson-Weir Award

Visit The Woodland Opera House
at:  http://www.vme.net/opera/
Davis Virtual Market - http://virtual-markets.net/vme/
Fresno - http://vme.net/fvm/   Reedley - http://vme.net/rvm/
Sacramento - http://virtual-markets.com/svm/  Vacaville - http://vme.net/vvm/
Woodland  - http://vme.net/wvm/
"Pet, Vets, You, and Dr.Sue - http://vme.net/dvm/DrSue/

The thoughts expressed are my own and do not reflect the policies or opinions
of DVM, FVM, GVM, RVM, WVM, VVM, VME Inc, DCN, DDC, WBL, DPBE, or IOOF.