[Davis Democrats] Voluntary action opportunity:Ted Kennedy's Legacy-from U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (Dem)

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Tue Jan 12 17:35:54 PST 2010

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dick Durbin <info at dickdurbin.com>

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:07:34 GMT
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Ted Kennedy's Legacy

   <http://www.dickdurbin.com>

  Dear John,
 <http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>
Support Martha Coakley >> <http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>
The final health care reform vote is just a few weeks away. But next
Tuesday, Massachusetts is holding a special election to fill the open seat
left by the passing of my friend and colleague, Senator Ted Kennedy -- and
the results will be pivotal in determining whether we pass health care
reform this year.

If Ted Kennedy was still with us in the Senate, I'm certain he'd proudly
vote "aye" to pass the most progressive step towards universal coverage in
four decades. And the Democrat running to fill his seat, Massachusetts
Attorney General Martha Coakley, has pledged she'd do the same.

But Martha is running neck-and-neck against a Republican, state senator
Scott Brown, who would betray Ted Kennedy's proud legacy of fighting for the
uninsured.

Please click here to make an emergency contribution to Martha Coakley's U.S.
Senate campaign in Massachusetts before next Tuesday's special election --
and keep Ted Kennedy's seat in our column.
<http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>

Attorney General Martha Coakley has dedicated the last 20 years of her life
to public service. She's a self-described "progressive" when it comes to
health care, and has spent much of her career challenging the Wall Street
firms that brought on the financial crisis.

Vicki Kennedy, the late Senator's wife, attests, "My husband fought for
health care reform for more than 40 years. Martha Coakley shares those
critical beliefs."

If elected, Martha Coakley will continue Ted Kennedy's proud, progressive
legacy in the U.S. Senate -- on issues ranging from health care reform to
financial regulation.

But a recent poll shows Martha trailing her Republican opponent by a point
-- within the poll's margin of error. That spurred a one-day $1.3 million
online fundraising haul for her opponent yesterday, fueled by national
Republicans and special interests who'd like nothing more than to replace
Ted Kennedy with a tried and true right-winger.

Please click here to make an emergency contribution to Martha Coakley's
campaign before next Tuesday's special election -- and keep Ted Kennedy's
seat in our column. <http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>

Republicans only need to pick up one more vote in the Senate to derail
health care reform. And there's no doubt Scott Brown would cast that fatal
vote of opposition, recently boasting "as the 41st senator I can stop a lot
of this stuff in its tracks."

It would be an awful shame to see a right-winger take Ted Kennedy's seat in
the U.S. Senate, and take down health care reform, but I'm confident that if
we act now <http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>  Martha Coakley
can keep this seat in the Democratic column.

Thank you so much for supporting Martha Coakley's campaign
<http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley> today.

Sincerely,

Dick Durbin
U.S. Senator

P.S. Remember, the Massachusetts special election is just 7 days away. Our
support, right now, could provide Martha with the final boost she needs to
win, so she can fill Ted Kennedy's Senate seat and be the 60th vote we need
to pass health care reform this year. Please contribute to Martha's campaign
right now! <http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>

 <http://ga3.org/ct/edx8Rk412rwX/Durbin4Coakley>
Visit DickDurbin.com <http://ga3.org/ct/e7x8Rk412rw4/home>

Paid for by Friends of Dick Durbin