[Davis Democrats] FW: voluntary action opportunity: Disability Pride Parade and Celebration on 20th Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act-U.S. Rep.Mike Thompson

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Fri Jul 30 17:13:21 PDT 2010

------ Forwarded Message

Subject: Davis Disability Pride Parade,9am, and Celebration,930am,  on this
Saturday morning in Central Park,  Davis

A disability pride celebration marking the 20th anniversary of the passage
of the Americans with Disabilities Act will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, July
31, in Davis' Central Park (between 3rd and 5th and B and C Streets) . It
will begin with a sidewalk parade around the park, starting and ending at
the Rotary Stage by the carousel, followed by speakers and performers at
9:30 a.m.  Central Park is also home to the Davis Farmer's Market at this
time, so we hope you come and enjoy all the produce and goodies as well.

Organizers say they hope to ³strengthen the pride, power and unity of people
with disabilities, our families and allies² and ³challenge the way many
people think about and define Œdisability.¹ ²

Confirmed speakers for the event include our U.S. congressman, Mike
Thompson; our California Assemblymember , Mariko Yamada; Lucinda Talkington
of Outa Sight, a support organization for the visually impaired; and Tom
Mentkowski of Hear! Here!, a support group for the hearing-impaired.
Volunteer sign language interpreters will be on hand.

Davis High School and UC Davis graduate Sara Granda will serve as grand
marshall for the parade. Paralyzed from the neck down after a car accident
in 1997, Granda made headlines last year during her successful fight to take
the bar exam. She has since been appointed special assistant to the chief
counsel for the State Department of Health Care Services.

Also planned: a service dog demonstration, lawn games, board games adapted
for the visually impaired, an ADA birthday cake, and performances by folk
musicians Duval-Speck and 89-year-old tap dancer George Hinkle of Davis.
Natalie Wormeli and Will Arnold of the Yolo County ACLU will serve as
emcees.

Among the event¹s other co-sponsors are Californians for Disability Rights,
The City of Davis, Clarity Sound, The Davis Enterprise, The Davis Food
Co-op, Davis Senior Center, The Davis Vanguard, General Technologies,
NAMI-Yolo (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill), Nugget Markets, Paws
With a Cause, and Special Olympics - Team Davis.  For more information, to
help, or to co-sponsor the event, call (530) 756-1900.