[Davis Democrats] Lois Wolks' comments on Governor Brown's State of the State Address

G Richard Yamagata yamagata at virtual-markets.net
Wed Jan 18 17:20:19 PST 2012

Greetings Fellow Democrat Activists,

The following was submitted to this list as something of interest to all
active Democrats.

================================

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:

January 18, 2012 Melissa Jones

PR12-04 916-651-4005

Wolk comments on Governor’s State of the State address

Supports Governor’s overall approach, but presses for more “affordable
and realistic” solution for Delta

SACRAMENTO—Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis) issued the following statement
today regarding Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr.’s State of the State
address. Wolk chairs the Senate’s Governance and Finance Committee,
which oversees efforts to help state and local governments work together
efficiently and effectively, as well as the Select Committee on Delta
Stewardship and Sustainability.

“The Governor’s overall approach is fiscally sound and should be
supported by the legislature this session and the voters this November.
It balances difficult cuts with temporary taxes to eliminate our deficit
and get us back on sound fiscal footing. He also continued to emphasize
shifting more authority locally and bringing government closer to the
people.

“I especially like the Governor’s proposal to give local school boards,
teachers, and principals more discretion on how to spend their dollars
to meet their specific needs.

“I also support his emphasis on investing more in renewable energy.
There is tremendous potential for economic growth and environmental
benefits, especially in the agriculture sector. I have several
legislative proposals that will help.

“On the Delta, I accept the Governor’s invitation to engage
constructively to find a solution to restore the Delta and improve water
supply reliability for the state. However, I don’t think it will require
what the Governor described as “an enormous project,” a giant canal, and
taking 100,000 acres of Delta farmland out of production. But it will
require supporting everyone’s effort to reduce reliance on the Delta as
their primary source of water and relying more on sustainable regional
water supplies. I look forward to working with the Governor and others
on developing an affordable and realistic solution that all Californians
can support.”