[Dhsbb-jazz] Details on Jazz Band/Jazz Choir Trip to New Orleans

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 21:57:45 PST 2008

Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  This email will provide additional details regarding the Jazz Band/Jazz Choir New Orleans trip April 10 – 13, 2008.  Below please find details on: flights, anticipated schedule of activities, opportunities for parents to attend and guidelines, and request for additional assistance.

  FLIGHTS AND HOTEL:

  Jazz Band, Jazz Choir and chaperones will fly to New Orleans on two different flights and return on the same flight.  The first group to depart on Thursday, April 10 will travel on Southwest flights #123 and #562, departing Sacramento at 6:40 AM and arriving in New Orleans at 3:10 PM.  The second group will depart on April 10 on Southwest flights #3073 and #1482, departing Sacramento at 8:30 AM and arriving in New Orleans at 5:50 PM.

  All students and chaperones will return together on Sunday, April 13 on Southwest flights #126 and #656, departing New Orleans at 6:15 PM and arriving in Sacramento at 10:40 PM.

  Please note—there have been several requests whether students can redeem frequent flyer credits for this trip.  Unfortunately, this is not possible.  However, if your student is a member of Southwest’s frequent flyer program then he or she can receive credit for these flights.  Please email your student’s frequent flyer number to Sam Yang prior to February 14 (spyang1 at comcast.net).

  Our hotel will be La Quinta in Kenner, which is adjacent to the airport and away from the (late night distractions of the) French Quarter:  http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ913&propId=913

  SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES:

  Although details are still being worked out, the anticipated schedule is as follows:

  Thursday evening:  unpack, pizza party, haunted tour of New Orleans

  Friday:  morning at University of New Orleans, sessions with UNO Music/Jazz faculty and students in workshops, followed by noon performance at the UNO Friday Recital Hour.  Afternoon and early evening in the French Quarter at the annual French Quarter Jazz Festival (http://www.frenchquarterfestivals.org/), which features 15 open-air venues throughout the French Quarter in a free festival of continuous music.  Late evening dinner at a restaurant that can seat all of us before returning to hotel.

  Saturday:  morning performance at Artillery Park, which is across from Jackson Square.  Then, bus trip to Cajun Country for an afternoon swamp tour.  In the evening we have rented The Jolly Inn in Houma and will have the facility to ourselves for four hours of Cajun Food and Zydeco/Cajun music by their in-house band (Couche-Couche), with dancing:

  http://www.yocajunconnection.com/Frame-855396-cajunbandpage855396.html?refresh=1174601452246

  Reviews of the Jolly Inn:

  http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2984851-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AufPPokWXGRBzHvVvoSlHoB8RGoL

  Sunday:  We have been invited by one of the UNO faculty members to perform at the All Saints Episcopal Church, River Ridge, LA on Sunday morning (this is adjacent to the UNO campus).  There will be a few pieces played during the service, followed by an approximately 45 minute performance.  In the afternoon (time permitting) we return to the French Quarter Jazz Festival for a few hours before going to the airport.  We hope to fit in a visit to the Louisiana State Museum Jazz Collection (http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/collections/jazz.htm).

  We are also trying to squeeze in a city tour, particularly so students can see the continued devastation and effects from Katrina.

  OPPORTUNITIES FOR PARENTS TO ATTEND:

  There have been numerous requests by parents to participate as chaperones, and everyone appreciates the level of your support and interest.  As only a few formal chaperones are required by the District on a trip like this, there are already enough people officially acting as chaperones.

  However, additional parents can join and participate in the trip and their assistance will be much appreciated.  Participating parents and cheerleaders are welcome--there IS room for band “groupies.”

  Please note that there are pros and cons to being an official chaperone versus a groupie.  Chaperones are not receiving any price break for assuming responsibility of the students during these four days, and non-chaperones may actually find better travel fares.

  Chaperones will be with the students the entire time and for all activities, whereas certain events may not be available to groupies.  At this time it appears that all groupies may not be able to attend the haunted tour and swamp tour due to space constraints—but we are checking into this.  The number of parents who can attend the UNO workshops also needs to be determined, but we will try to accommodate everyone.

  Groupie parents will need to make their own travel arrangements.  Sam Yang is available to assist, and is familiar with flight and hotel options from having done so much investigation for this trip.  Please feel free to contact Sam if you would like his assistance:  spyang1 at comcast.net.  There may even be a few spots available on the group reservation.

  There are obvious advantages to staying at La Quinta.  Groupie parents are invited to travel on the buses we rent, provided there are enough spaces (which is not anticipated to be a problem) and that groupie parents are on time for each departure (we’re not waiting!).

  We do request that one non-chaperone parent volunteer to coordinate all other “groupie” parents.  The trip organizers have a full plate coordinating the students.  We need one contact person who will interface with all parents who want to be “groupies,” disseminate information to them and collect money in advance for dinners, any tours/admissions, The Jolly Inn, use of the buses, etc.  This person will also be the parent contact during the trip.  Is there a volunteer?

  Please—if you want to join the trip as a “groupie” and participate in activities, then let Barbara Duffy, Peter Matlock or Sam Yang know by Wednesday, January 30.  If possible, earlier is better for planning purposes.

  Also—both Mr. Lange and Mr. Zinn request that all parents on this trip remember the following basic rules:

    This trip is NOT a vacation to be taken with your student.  It is first and foremost an educational event.

   Students must travel with the group at all times, including airplane flights and scheduled activities.

   However, there will be two designated times when it is possible for students to join their parents away from the group.  These two times are Friday and Sunday afternoons when we will be at the French Quarter Jazz Festival.  Given that students MUST stay with a chaperone or adult while wandering through the French Quarter, it is particularly helpful if additional parents are present.  Student safety is paramount while we are in the French Quarter, and we also want them to hear as much jazz and see as much of New Orleans’ unique ambience as possible.

  VOLUNTEERS:

  We still need volunteers for the following positions:

  “Groupie” Coordinator: as described above.

  Instrument Transportation Coordinator:  we are planning to pack up large instruments (percussion, bass, amplifiers, bari sax, trombones) and send them by air freight both to and from New Orleans, and need someone to coordinate these logistics.

  Please contact Barbara Duffy (bduffyrn at sbcglobal.net) or Peter Matlock (matlockpeter at yahoo.com) if you can help the Jazz Band with either of these positions.

  Finally, you might appreciate this slick video from the New Orleans tourism bureau.  The lip-synching is annoying, but if you get beyond that it’s a rather effective way to get in the mood for New Orleans (and the web site has some good information):

  http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/music/musicvideo.html
  Please contact Barbara Duffy, Mike Choy or Peter Matlock if you have questions about the trip, or Sam Yang if you have questions about travel arrangements.  Also—thanks to Barbara and Sam for ALL the work they have done to make this trip possible.  They are putting in phenomenal effort to ensure this will be a terrific experience for the students.
  Don’t forget to make your payments on time!  Upcoming deadlines are Feb 7, March 7 and April 7.
  Best regards,
  Peter