[Dhsbb-jazz] (no subject)

Choy Family cjchoy at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 2 19:47:00 PDT 2009

May 2, 2009

Band Parents,

The Officers of the DHS Band Boosters and Mr. Lange have
been watching the recent outbreak of the Swine flu, especially now that Holmes
Junior High has been temporarily closed for 2 weeks.  Our San
  Diego trip is planned in about 2 weeks.

Although the Swine flu has resulted in 1 death in the United
states (as of 5/1/09), the disease is generally a mild illness.  Every year we have other viruses (influenza A
and B, parainfluenza, RSV, etc) that float around the United States
and our community that have killed hundreds of patients, but this does not make
the public news.

As a physician, I feel we should not be panicking about this
particular flu.  However, we should not
be disregarding it either, and we should be taking reasonable preventive
measures.  In my opinion, the most
important preventative measure we can take right now is not to send your
student to school if he/she is sick with any type of flu or cold symptoms.  That goes for you parents and your work as
well.

I have been looking at the Center for Disease Control (CDC)
to keep up on their recommendations.
Yolo County Health department and the California State Health Department
have essentially been following the CDC guidelines.  At this time we are not cancelling the San Diego trip.  The CDC has stated they are not
recommending that domestic travel be cancelled (see web site below)

I know we have been looking forward to this trip, and we
will go if it is safe.  However, we will
continue monitoring the CDC and regional public health guidelines.  I have included CDC websites for additional
information.

Mike Choy, MD

DHS BB President

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/parents.htm