[Dhsbb-jazz] New Orleans Trip Instrument Shipping & Luggage Information

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Tue Apr 3 17:31:06 PDT 2012

Greeting New Orleans Bound People,

Shipping Instruments:
If you are shipping an instrument, we will be packing up instruments to be shipped to New Orleans on Thursday at 12:30 pm, right after a quick rehearsal with the Jazz Choir, and then taking them over to the Airport.    Those who have already given me the information (dimensions & weight) of their instruments are the ones we are talking about right now.
Please make sure that there is sufficient packing material (ie: towels, bubble wrap, clothes, etc) so that the instruments do not shift around in the case when closed.
Also please make sure that the cases are closed securely.  Some cases may need to have a packing strap put around them to ensure that they don’t open when handled.

On Thursday, I need 2 additional people with Vans or a Pick-up truck to help move materials to the airport (around 1:30pm).
I will be one of them:   John (1), ______(2),  _______(3).    If you can help, please let me know.

Luggage:
                You are allowed two Carry On items:  One personal items (back pack, purse, computer bag, etc) and one hand bag or small suitcase.
                If you are carrying on an instrument then you are down to one other item, and you may need to check a suitcase.
                Each person is responsible for any checked luggage (see info below).  Please make sure that it is clearly labeled with a luggage tag.

Checking baggage:  You can check a bag when you we get to the airport; costs are noted below.   I still have to work this out, but possibly meet up with your chaperone, you can bring cash and pay the chaperone, and they can use their credit card.  I don’t believe we can use cash there at the airport checking counter.   We’ll get that figured out in the next day or so.

Things to know about your carry-on bags   (from the United website)
[Liquids and Gels]

If you are traveling with any liquid, gel or aerosol items, here are a few things you should remember:

  *   Customers departing from U.S. airports on any flight may bring carry-on bags through security and aboard the aircraft with trial-size toiletries (3.4 ounces or less) which can be purchased at any drug store.
  *   Toiletries must fit comfortably in one, quart-size (7.5-inch x 8-inch), clear plastic zip-top bag.
  *   The zip-top bag may need to be presented separately at airport security so make sure it is easily accessible when you approach the screening area.

Additionally, beverages or toiletries purchased inside the airport beyond the security checkpoints will be allowed onboard the aircraft.

Items greater than 3.4 ounces and/or not contained in a zip-top bag may be allowed on board but must be declared to the TSA at the security checkpoint for screening. These items include baby formula, milk (to include breast milk), baby food, juice, medications and liquids/gels that are needed for diabetic or other medical conditions.

The maximum combined linear measurement (length + width + height) of carry-on bags must not exceed 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches (114 cm).

Please note: All carry-on items must be stowed under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. Items may not be stowed in the seat back pocket. Any item in excess of carry-on baggage size or allowance requirements as listed above will be checked to your final destination and may be subject to applicable checked baggage fees<http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx>.​

Checked Luggage:  $25 for the 1st piece, $35 for the 2nd piece

In general, United Airlines will accept up to two pieces of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) per bag in exchange for the applicable service fees. Outside dimension of a bag is equal to the width + height + depth of the bag added together. Additional checked bags or any bags that exceed these allowable weights and dimensions are subject to additional fees.