[Dhsbb-jazz] Next year's DHS Band trip will be to..........................

JazzyHorns at aol.com JazzyHorns at aol.com
Thu Jun 6 10:12:01 PDT 2013

Good Morning Band folks!

The last DHS Band Booster meeting of the year was last night.  At that
meeting I shared the detailed results of the recent trip survey. We had over

A quick summary of the survey revealed that 82% of the respondents were
interested in a band trip out of CA next spring.  First choice destination  by
the majority of the respondents was the traditional trip to Victoria  B.C.
20% voted for Boston as the first choice destination and a few had  some
other major US city as a destination of choice.  5% of the respondents
preferred not to travel next year at all. Nearly everyone was concerned  about
costs and trying to keep costs down was highly preferred (no surprise  there!)
 Again a huge thank you for your responses.  In a large  group there will
always be a variety of opinions and our sincere hope is to  offer
opportunities that will satisfy the majority of students and families  whenever
possible.

While we do hope that all band students will be able to participate in
these band experiences, it is important to note that the trips are always
optional, and that band boosters does set aside funds to ensure that no student
is excluded for financial reasons.  The boosters however, is not able to
fund raise or support 100% of the trip costs for all students, so we will be
getting information out early and often this year and collecting donations
as early as September.  If we do not receive enough donations and pledges
early in the fall we will need to cancel our plans.  With pre-paid air
reservations and such we will not be able to simply hope that funds will come in
 as the year progresses!

SO to aid in your planning for the next school year:

Destination and Dates:
The Spring Band Tour will be to Victoria British Columbia,  in  celebration
of Victoria Day.  Since this is a set holiday to honor Queen  Victoria's
Birthday, the travel time is set.  While we don't know the exact  dates of our
tour, suffice it to say the trip will include the May 19, 2014  holiday and
a few days to one side or the other of that date.

Travel Documents needed:
Students will need to travel with either:

A valid US passport valid until at least June 15, 2014. (Students with
international passports may need to be valid until Dec. 1, 2014)

OR

A driver's license or school ID (must have photo)  AND one of the
following:
a notarized copy of the birth certificate, an original birth certificate, a
 lawful permanent resident card, or naturalization certificate.  Please
note  that if traveling this way you will also need a permission slip and
possible  letter signed by both parents listed on the birth certificate allowing
travel out of the country.

Please take time this summer to apply for or renew passports if you choose
to use that form of ID for the trip, as the process can sometimes take a
few  months to complete.

And now.........everyone have a FANTASTIC summer break, and we'll see you
in the fall!

Katie Horn
Trip Coordinator

Please consider joining the trip planning committee to help  with this
grand adventure.  You will be able to sign up in September (or  just let me know
anytime and I'll put you on the list!)