[Dhsbb-jazz] Quarter Grade Update and Point Earning Opportunities

tslabaugh at djusd.net tslabaugh at djusd.net
Wed Mar 20 17:44:57 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Over last weekend, I completed updating the 3rd quarter grade point tally sheet and posted this compilation in the foyer to PA3. While many students have kept up with a steady and predictable accumulation of points, there are always those who need to complete their paperwork, submit points already earned, earn more points, etc... in order to earn the grade they desire. Some important notes I announced on Monday and posted on the board in PA3 are as follows.

1.      Please double check the tally sheet and make sure an accurate accounting of your submitted points are recorded on this sheet. Speak immediately with Mr. Slabaugh if you have any questions or concerns. Mistakes have been discovered (Hey,...I'm human!) and I need to clear up these issues before submitting grades. Clearing up grades after submission is difficult for all parties involved!

2.      All points earned prior to March 22, 2013 MUST be submitted no later than 4:00pm on this day to be recorded for the 3rd academic quarter. Late points will not be accepted.

3.      Points earned between March 22nd and March 29th (the final day of the 3rd quarter) must be submitted and received by me no later than 4:00pm on Friday, March 29th in order to be counted for the third quarter grade. Late points will not be accepted.

4.      For those students interested in earning additional points, we are hosting an adjudication concert on Saturday, March 23rd in the DHS iPab Theater. As DHS students will be performing in this event, they will also have an opportunity to stay, listen to another ensemble perform, and complete concert attendance reports (refer to the syllabus for more information) to earn additional credit towards their grade. A total of three (3) concert reports may be completed per quarter for a maximum of 110 points! The schedule is as follows:
9:00am to 10:00am - Harper 7th grade band
10:00am to 11:00am - DEH 7th grade band
11:00am to 12:00pm - DHS Concert Band. Call Time is 10:00am in room PA3 in Concert Black attire.
12:00pm to 1:00pm - Lunch Break
1:00pm to 2:00pm - DHS Symphonic Band. Call Time is 12:00pm in room PA3 in Concert Black attire.
2:00pm to 3:00pm - Harper 8/9 grade band
3:00pm to 4:00pm - DEH 8/9 grade band

5.      As we are also producing the aforementioned event, we will have the need for a small amount of student workers. Sign-up sheets will be available by this coming Friday. Yes,...points may be earned for working in this event!

6.      On Wednesday evening, March 27th, from 8:00pm to 9:30pm we will rehearse music we are performing on our Spring Tour. All band students, regardless of their planned attendance on tour, are invited to attend this rehearsal! This is a wonderful opportunity to sight read some great music and earn 100 points towards your 3rd quarter grade!!

7.      I explained to all students that they need to check on their attendance record and clear up any unexcused absences or tardies. Each unexcused absence lowers their grade by -30 points and each unexcused tardy by -20 points. If there are questions regarding attendance, please review your student's attendance record via Zangle and contact the attendance office as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your help!

Mr. Slabaugh

Thomas E Slabaugh II
Director of Bands