[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin for Tuesday, February 23, 2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Feb 19 15:54:00 PST 2010

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  On this day in 1954, a group of children from Arsenal Elementary School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, receive the first injections of the new polio vaccine developed by Dr. Jonas Salk.

ON THIS DAY IN OLYMPIC HISTORY:  Eric Heiden speed skates into Olympic history.  Speed skater Eric Heiden wins the 10,000-meter race at the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York, setting a world record with his time and winning an unprecedented fifth gold medal at the games.
REMINDER

	*	Attention Senior Families:  Now is the time to buy your Graduate's reservation for Grad Night 2010 on June 11.  Go to www.davisgradnight.org <http://www.davisgradnight.org> to make your reservations.  Advance sale only $90 or $110 at the door.

	*	Attention Key Clubbers - don't forget we have elections on Wednesday, February 24 at lunch!  We'll also be discussing district convention on Friday the 26th in S-12 after school.  So if you're interested, please come!

SPORTS

TODAY

	*	Cultural Exchange Club meets TODAY in P-14 (Mr. William's room) during lunch.  Come learn about an exciting short-term exchange opportunity in China this summer!  We'll see you there!

	*	FFA Week starts TODAY! Everyday this week will be a different event all leading up to the final day of Kiss the Pig! Want to make a teacher kiss the pig? Starting Tuesday during 4th period you can put coins into kiss the pig jars in most classrooms around the school designated for specific candidates.  At the end of the week the coins will be counted and the teacher with the most money will be kissing the pig on Friday! The candidates are:  Mr. Bastin, Mr. Morgan, Ms. Diaz, Ms. Joanna Glover, Miss Eller, Mrs. Heintz, Ms. Ruggiero-Reed, Mr. Mahon.
	*	Listen up DHS students.  RSJ is having its annual research projects and we need your help.  Please come answer surveys during lunch TODAY in class P-14.  Surveys will be set up outside, and any devil that helps will receive a treat!  All are welcome to come.  We hope to see all Blue Devils there.
	*	Cafeteria-Special of the Day - Chicken Tostada with Beans

NEW

	*	If you received notification that you were selected as a National Merit Finalist, come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office to pick up your certificate!
	*	Attention all 9th grade musicians:  Davis High School Orchestra Program will conduct two auditions for 2010-2011. The first audition group is "DHS Symphony Orchestra", which is an advanced level full symphony orchestra open to string, woodwind, brass, and percussion players. The second audition orchestra is the "DHS Baroque Ensemble" open to violin, viola, cello, bass and keyboard players who are interested in learning to play the Harpsichord. Auditions will be held in the IPAB, Room PA-3 starting March 18-26.  Sign up by March 5 in your school music room or contact Mr. Moreno at amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us <mailto:amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us> for more information.

	*	Interested in traveling to Nicaragua this summer?  Please join Courtenay Tessler on Thursday during lunchtime in the large conference room.  Scholarships are available for low-income students.  Learn more about the Global Glimpse program.

	*	SENIORS:  The Cal Grant deadline is March 2.  If you received a postcard saying we cannot submit Cal Grant information for you because we don't have your social security number, please come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office, this week.  You cannot be considered for a Cal Grant without this information.  If you have any questions about Cal Grants or the FAFSA, come to the Scholarship office this week!

CONTINUED

	*	SENIORS:  If you're planning to attend UCD, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and you worked during high school, you may qualify for the $11,400 Beeghly-Merritt Scholarship!  Applications are now available in the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office.  The deadline to apply is March 26, so come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office next to counseling to pick up an application!