[env-trinity] CBB: Salmon Survival: It’s All About The Early Days In The Ocean And 2010 Tough To Call

Sari Sommarstrom sari at sisqtel.net
Fri Jan 7 17:33:42 PST 2011

Columbia Basin Bulletin

Salmon Survival: It’s All About The Early Days In
The Ocean And 2010 Tough To Call
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2011 (PST)

Ocean conditions off the coast of Oregon and
Washington changed from nightmarish to dreamy for
juvenile salmon this past late spring-early
summer and in the process confounded experts’
efforts to predict how those young fish may have fared.

“The fact that ocean conditions were poor early
in the season but great later in summer makes it
impossible to provide any reliable forecast this
year: our best ‘guess’ is that we can expect near
‘average’ returns in 2011 (for coho) and 2012
(for chinook),” according to the Northwest
Fisheries Science Center’s annual qualitative
prediction of future returns. “We do not think
that the El Niño had a devastating effect on
salmon because the warm ocean conditions at the
time of ocean entry (in April/May) were about ‘average.’”

NOAA Fisheries’ NWFSC has over the past 13 years
developed a suite of ocean ecosystem “indicators”
that are monitored and the data then used to
estimate what kind of an impact they might have
had on juvenile salmon during the earliest stage
of their ocean sojourn. Basically, the better the
survival early on, the more fish are expected to
survive to adulthood to return to the Columbia River basin to spawn.

Each of the 18 or so indicators is rated for the
year as good, neutral or bad. Then they are
compared individually to past measurements and,
as was the case this year, given a score of from
1 (the best combined score over the course of the study) to 13 (the worst).

The run-size forecasts are based on the average
score for the indicators overall.

The mean of those scores for 2010 ranked the year
eighth out of 13, which would indicate slightly
below average overall conditions for coho and
spring chinook salmon that ventured to sea last
spring. The forecasts are for the first year that
species’ begin to return as fully matured adults,
in the coho’s case after one year in the Pacific
and the spring chinook after two years.

“There’s some hints that it was not that
terrible” for young fish that typically would
have entered the ocean before conditions turned
from bad to good, said Bill Peterson, NOAA
Fisheries oceanographer and senior scientist. The
number of coho jacks that returned, as counted at
Bonneville Dam, after just a few months in the
ocean was in the average range, he said. The
strength of a jack return can mirror the strength
of broodmate returns in succeeding years.

In the California current that hugs the coast,
and elsewhere, cold is good for salmon.

“Because of the 2009-10 El Niño event, the ocean
began to warm in autumn 2009 and remained warm
through April 2010, after which a cooling trend
resumed in May 2010,” the forecast says. The El
Nino/Southern Oscillation is the measure of sea
surface temperatures in the equatorial Pacific
that can affect climate worldwide.

“Thus, 2010 began as a ‘warm year,’ began to cool
in May but by July, the ocean was the coldest
observed in recent years. Thus we had very mixed
signals in 2010 making it difficult to offer any
reliable outlooks in returns of coho salmon in
2010 and chinook salmon in 2012,” the forecast says.

“During the tail end of the El Niño, in May and
June, we had some of the worst ocean conditions
we’ve seen in the 13 years we’ve been sampling,”
Peterson said. “Then in July, the conditions were
as good as they’ve ever been. So it’s a question
of timing” and what the fish did once they entered the ocean.

Coho tend to hang out not too far off the coast
and not too deep. The spring chinook don’t seem
to dawdle too long before charging north up the
continental shelf to parts unknown.

At the time of the young fishes entry, “the ocean
really was kind two-layered” with warm surface
water and cool water deeper that was relatively
plentiful in terms of nutrients on which juvenile salmon feed.

Survival may have depended on “if they had enough
sense to go deeper,” Peterson said. Coho and
steelhead have a more shallow orientation than chinook.

“Vertical structure is really something we’ve
really not thought about,” Peterson said.

For the past 13 years, Peterson and his
colleagues have conducting trawl surveys funded
by the Bonneville Power Administration in June
and September from Cape Perpetua to La Push,
Wash., counting the abundance of juvenile salmon
along the near-shore waters of the West Coast.
The survival rate of juvenile salmon is the key
indicator for future salmon runs, says Peterson.

When salmon first enter the ocean, they must have
enough food to not only survive, but to grow
rapidly enough to avoid predation. The smaller
they are, the more vulnerable they are to
potential predators lurking offshore. And when
ocean productivity is high, populations of other
fish like herring, anchovies and sardines grow
and provide alternatives for the predators.

Peterson said the juvenile chinook counted this
summer was the fifth highest they’ve had in their
13 years, raising hope for future chinook runs.
But the season’s mixed bag continued

“We caught almost no juvenile coho salmon in
September and that worries me,” Peterson said.

“We’ll find out soon enough,” he said. “Coho
return as adults after 18 months; spring chinook
come back after two years and fall chinook, three
years or longer. If these fish can make it to
adulthood, they should be fine. There’s not much
that out there that feeds on them other than sea lions and orcas.

“It’s all about how they fare as youngsters,” he
added, “and the jury is definitely still out this year.”

If the cool La Nina and negative Pacific Decadal
Oscillation keep their grip, conditions should be
much improved by the time this year’s class ventures out.

SST anomalies were consistently colder than
normal by several degrees during the summer of
2010 and the deep water temperatures on the
continental shelf in July-August were the coldest of the 13-year record.

And the biomass of the lipid-rich “northern”
copepod species was the third highest on record
during the summer of 2010. The northern copepods
are a key link in the food chain.

The negative signals dominated early in the
spring-summer season. The PDO was positive
(generally considered bad for salmon) and SSTs
were warm during the winter of 2009-2010
indicating poor ocean conditions during the winter.

The PDO is a climate index based upon patterns of
variation in sea surface temperature of the North
Pacific from 1900 to the present. While derived
from sea surface temperature data, the PDO index
is well correlated with many records of North
Pacific and Pacific Northwest climate and
ecology, including sea level pressure, winter
land-surface temperature and precipitation, and
stream flow,” according to information posted on
NWFSC’s “Ocean Ecosystem Indicators of Salmon
Marine Survival in the Northern California
Current” web site. That site is located at:

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/research/divisions/fed/oeip/a-ecinhome.cfm

The index is also correlated with salmon landings
from Alaska, Washington, Oregon and California.

“Although the winter storms ended in late March
and the upwelling season was initiated on 5
April, strong upwelling was not initiated until
two months later, on 9 June,” according to the
forecast. The length and strength of the
upwelling is indicative of the availability of
fish food delivered to the surface.

“Within that two months period several southwest
storms moved through the region. This is
generally a negative sign for salmon that enter
the ocean in April-May,” the forecast says.

“Copepod species richness was very high during
winter-spring-summer of 2010, ranking 11 of 13
from May-September. We regard this as a negative
sign because it indicates that the sub-tropical
species that were brought to Oregon with the El
Niño persisted for several months after the end
of the El Niño event; species richness did not
return to normal until autumn 2010.”

<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=xa-4a73074e66d2b0b0>
Bookmark and Share