[env-trinity] CalTrout on Trinity

Seth Naman Seth.Naman at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 9 14:37:35 PST 2011

Bill,

I would use caution in using the results of my thesis to explain changes in
salmonid populations in the Trinity River. It would take a rigorous
multi-year analysis to be able to distinguish the mortality from predation
by hatchery steelhead from the many other sources of mortality that salmon
experience throughout their life and to test if the predation mortality was
compensatory or additive.

I highly doubt if hatchery steelhead, residualized or not, are thriving on
hatchery coho salmon because of the energetic costs associated with prey
handling and capture (see the attached paper). It's too costly to chase a
hatchery coho salmon smolt and the hatchery steelhead would much prefer
sipping fry. Though we did find one or two residualized hatchery steelhead
that were capable of making the benefits of chasing hatchery coho salmon
smolts outweigh the costs (see the attached picture), but these were rare
cases.

Seth