[env-trinity] on embracing scientific uncertainty

Kier Associates kierassociates at suddenlink.net
Sun Jul 29 08:19:26 PDT 2012

Right on, Jim Martin.

Because there's not enough water available from the Sacramento River to meet
CA's 2009 'historic Delta legislation's' call for meeting the 'co-equal
goals' of 1-  dependable water supply for out-of-stream desires and 2-
protection of the watershed's/ estuary's public trust resources, the amount
of Delta through-flow req'd for the protection of public trust resources
having been reported out by the State Water Resources Control Board in
August 2010 (
<http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/bay_delta/d
eltaflow/final_rpt.shtml>
http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/bay_delta/de
ltaflow/final_rpt.shtml) and immediately dissed by the gen'l manager of the
Metropolitan Water District of SoCal as - if taken literally - signaling
'game over' (whatever that means - sounds ominous, as tho' he didn't really
appreciate having the best available science concerning the amount of Delta
through-flow required to protect public trust resources) the 'Plan'
announced by the Governor and Sec'y Salazar last Wednesday calls for twin
33-ft diameter tunnels, 15k cfs diversion capacity (the average annual flow
of the Sacramento River is 16k cfs), installing three 3k cfs capacity pumps
along the river in the Freeport-Hood area to feed a forebay and the tunnels,
and launching (i.e., when all the hardware is in place) a 10-15 yr period of
'adaptive management' to determine how much water can be withdrawn from the
estuary without doing violence to the public trust resources.

I think the Resources Agency's Bay Delta Conservation Program mgr Karla
Nemeth said it all this week with "We decided to embrace scientific
uncertainty regarding the facility's operation, water flows, habitat
restoration and the response of fish."

When the best available science - the work products (link above) from the
SWRCB's months-long 2010 Delta through-flow requirements proceedings -
doesn't work, embrace scientific uncertainty - it's worked wonderfully well
for the Trinity River Restoration Program.

(30 minutes of non-stop performance by NMFS' animated 'West Coast Salmon
Coordinator' here
<http://www.water.ca.gov/news/newsreleases/2012/072612bdcp_190mb_long.wmv>
http://www.water.ca.gov/news/newsreleases/2012/072612bdcp_190mb_long.wmv)

Bill Kier