[env-trinity] Fwd: CBB: Study Analyzes Benefits Of 'Mark-Selective' Fishing For Wild Salmon Populations

Kier Associates kierassociates at suddenlink.net
Sat Jul 28 12:26:47 PDT 2012

'Takes me back..

It's been nearly 20 years, but the late Nat Bingham and I spent nearly a
year - fruitlessly - trying to promote mark-selective salmon fishing for CA
by seeking a federal appropriations earmark to provide CA Fish & Game with
funds for undertaking universal marking of hatchery salmon

We successfully approached then-North Coast Congressman Dan Hamburg and had
the earmark in gear before meeting with the DFG oppostion at the old NMFS
Tiburon Lab.

The DFGers brought in Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission personnel
to beef up their opposition, which, if memory serves, turned on two main
concerns : 1- that hooking mortality, particularly for coho, was
unacceptably high; and 2- that there were too many management programs that
relied on longtime series of fractional marking data to simply chuck it all
for a new mark-selective fishing regime

As these things go, critical junctures in the federal appropriation process
were missed, Nat and I had trouble figuring out what was going on with the
Hamburgers, and, when we did, we found they had quietly shelved our
initiative because of the DFG opposition.

Such is the stuff conservation leadership is too often made of

To be fair, not all the opposition came from the fish bureaucrats. Earl
Carpenter of Bodega Bay was still regarded as 'the Captain' of CA's
commercial salmon fishing fleet and he growled 'you're going to be sorry as
hell if you succed - you're going to find there's a hell of a lot more
naturals out there then you think.   'Would that it were so!

In those days Jim Martin (cc-ed here), then ODF&W's fisheries chief was
pushing hard - and successfully - for what is now the NW's universal
hatchery marking/mark-selective salmon fishing regime

Fishing with Jim on the Willamette last year for spring salmon (the mainstem
Columbia was closed) I tied into a beauty which took me several minutes to
crank up close enough to the boat to see the ad fin. It was an absolutely
huge, gorgeous fish and my heart filled, frankly, for the opportunity to
turn it loose, hopefully to produce more lunkers like him/her

I'm still wrapped around one of the assignments that the visionary Nat
Bingham - who's been gone 14 years now - gave me, and that's boosting,
however I can, genetic stock identification (see, e.g.,
http://www.pacificfishtrax.org/media/2pagers/Genetics%20CROOS%20Summary%201J
an10.pdf

Hopefully, between the two technologies - mark-selective fishing and GSI -
we can pass salmon on to the next seven generations

Bill Kier

Kier Associates, Fisheries and Watershed Professionals
P.O Box 915
Blue Lake, CA 95525
(707) 668-1822
Mobile: 707.498.7847