[env-trinity] Two Letters to the Editor on TRRP

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Jul 13 08:22:03 PDT 2016

http://www.trinityjournal.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_e6a6f5c0-4890-11e6-9287-0f78540cfaff.html

River tour opened eyes

   - From Pastor Jay Underwood First Baptist Church, Weaverville
 - 1 hr ago
 -  0

   -
   -
   -

   -
   -
   -
   -
   -
I had the wonderful opportunity last week to float down part of the Trinity River from Steele Bridge to Lorenz Gulch just below Douglas City. The float was free and open to the public in an effort by the Trinity River Restoration Program for people to see some of the work done by the agency and be able to talk to some of its employees including their engineers and scientists. Let me just say, kudos to the TRRP.Each raft was led by a professional guide with a TRRP staff person on board — everyone from hydrologists, ecologists and geologists (and many other “ists” I’m sure) including the interim executive director. As we floated down, the TRRP folks gave us a play by play of some of the projects they have been involved with on that particular section of river and were open to questions, thoughts and comments from us, the public. At one point we all got out to more closely observe a side channel that was constructed to increase habitat for juvenile salmon. The engineer of this project made the point that all the materials used to do this were natural to the area; there were no cables, rebar, metal or other unnatural materials used.  One of the things that stood out in my mind that was shared by the hydrologist on our raft was that while maintaining a healthy salmon population is a very high priority, there is an emphasis on maintaining a healthy river, in every respect. All in all I found the agency to be transparent, gracious and with a great desire to reach out to the public.Most importantly, what I found from the TRRP from the top to the bottom was a group of people who genuinely love and care for the Trinity River and the communities it flows through. Wondering what’s going on with this incredible and very valuable resource? Just ask the TRRP, or better yet, go on their next public float trip and experience what they’re doing first-hand. I’m so glad I did.http://www.trinityjournal.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_049a142c-4891-11e6-852e-ff33af9f5e9c.html

Just another mess on the river

   - From Jackie Johnson Douglas City
 - 1 hr ago
 -  0

   -
   -
   -

   -
   -
   -
   -
   -
Response to “TRRP’s ridiculous river of failure” (Journal, June 29).Thank you Jerry for your letter, and thank you Trinity Journal for printing it. I’ve lived next to the river for 25 years and have witnessed the carnage first hand. I’ve also gotten the runaround when trying to get some answers.My river frontage is now a huge log jam. No one wants to dull their chain saw on wood full of river silt. The last time they did this, it costed us $1,500 to get our beach back. I wonder if TRRP’s grant money allowed for cleaning up their mess, not to mention the baby duck and geese who perished in the flood, or the osprey who went hungry and failed to raise their young. The family of beavers I so enjoyed watching come out of the hut across the river from me are gone, haven’t seen them since.After so many phone calls, and having been passed to the next so many times, I finally released my rage when RR came flying up and down the river in a big motor boat. I assume looking for the black rocks. I screamed at them to put those rocks where the sun doesn’t shine and go for a swim.We are tired of government spending for the sake of jobs that do nothing but secure a paycheck for unethical self-serving people. You may want to join (TAMWG) but be careful. If they find an endangered flea on your property, you could lose everything. You can’t trust the government. Period.