[env-trinity] The Mercury News: The reason that California wildfires are worse than ever

Kelley Lincoln lincoln at kmud.org
Mon Aug 6 17:48:20 PDT 2018

I urge us not to start pointing fingers. Alot of people are really hurting
right now. My grandparents lived in Lake County the last thirty years of
their lives. Many places lost to fire there in the last few years were not
out in the hinterlands other than being small towns. The maps I've seen of
Redding suggest many suburban neighborhood people lost homes.  Santa Rosa
last year had suburban neighborhoods with streets and fire protection wiped
out.  Blue Lake CA almost went up that same night that the Santa Rosa fire
started.  It was an heroic effort that kept that little town from burning.

Where is the line after which People may not use or develop the property
they have? I know those decisions are left with the local government
because of a sense of democracy and local control.
That's what county general plans are all about.

Legalization of marijuana is going to do a lot to reduce the outward
population pressures so that's a relief.  And these fires are also pushing
People out of California and back toward urban centers.

But in all of the blaming I've seen in the last day or two, from the White
House down, I see little that talks about the things that make the most
sense to me: fire fuel reduction and prescription burns to counteract a
century of well-meaning, government subsidized, yet altogether misguided
fire suppression.

And prescription burns have the added benefit of being part of the cycle of
life that many plants are evolved around.

Kelley