[env-trinity] CDFW Trinity River Project trapping summary through Julian week 43

Kier, Mary Claire@Wildlife MaryClaire.Kier at wildlife.ca.gov
Sun Oct 28 11:15:23 PDT 2018

Greetings!
Attached please find the TRP trapping summary through JWeek 43 (October 28).

Trinity River Hatchery did their first week of fall Chinook recovery this past week, and Willow Creek weir continued with tagging.
Folks, I just want to remind you, because I've gotten a few sad emails about the numbers:

At Willow Creek we are only hoping to trap about 10% of the fish in the run. The numbers that we are trapping (and tagging) are what is reflected in the summary, NOT the number of fish in the river. At some point (well past the end of the season) we'll have all the video reviewed and compare those numbers of fish counted to the number we estimate using our mark (at the weir)/recapture (at TRH) experiment. And the numbers we are trapping could be quite different than in past years simply due to different species potentially having different wariness of the weir in general in its new configuration, or of the light in the camera box.

Also please remember that the numbers that are on the TRH summary account for the processed and /or spawned fish. Many more fish that are diverted into the round tanks for holding/ripening etc are not included in those numbers, so do no fret. Yet.

I hear from anglers there are plenty of fish in the river. And they can't all be lying because I am getting tag returns.
Please DO return your tags in the season you get them. After this year we will NOT be paying on out of season tags.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.
Cheers!
MC

Mary Claire Kier
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife - Trinity River Project
Environmental Scientist - Fisheries
707/822-5876
5341 Ericson Way, Arcata CA 95521
Klamath/Trinity Program reports can be found online @